cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a Cisco 9100 Series EWC working side by side with another WLC?

Rizky Chandra
Level 1
Level 1

Can a Cisco 9100 Series EWC working side by side with another WLC within the same network?

Hi, I'm very new about cisco products and don't have enough knowledge about wireless controller. I have a project with a Cisco 5508 WLC and 10 pieces 9115 Access Points, and I already know that both of them cannot work with each other, so my logical solutions that I can think of is using a single 9115 Access Point as a Embedded Wireless Controller to add and configure the other 9.

Will it make a problem if I do that? what do I have to do to configure or bypass the problem if there is one?
Thanks

-Rizky

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes it can work parallelly.  but roaming will not work between these two different kind of WLCs.

My recommendation: To be safe, just separate the legacy(5508) and new networks(9115). This way you donā€™t get any APā€™s bouncing around especially if one controller goes down.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes it can work parallelly.  but roaming will not work between these two different kind of WLCs.

My recommendation: To be safe, just separate the legacy(5508) and new networks(9115). This way you donā€™t get any APā€™s bouncing around especially if one controller goes down.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Alright, Thanks.
I haven't tried it yet but logically speaking it kinda does make sense to me, I will give you an update once I start working on it

Hi there @Sandeep Choudhary, the update on my project was a success. thank you very much on your help, yes I tried the roaming and it doesn't work. again, Thank you very much on your help!!!

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Like @Sandeep Choudhary says keep them separate - do not put them on the same subnet/vlan which is strictly not supported and will cause problems.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card