Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a WLC HA device be another model?

varun.cheloor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Is it possible for a WLC HA device (secondary/backup) be another model?

For example, If I am using 5520 as my primary WLC, can I use 2504 or 3504 as my HA?

Please let me know my options, Also let me know about the virtual controller.

Thanks a lot !!!

4 Replies 4

todsimmo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Varun,

We recommend that you do not pair two controllers of different hardware models. If they are paired, the higher controller model becomes the active controller and the other controller goes into maintenance mode.  Also, we recommend that you do not pair two controllers on different controller software releases. If they are paired, the controller with the lower redundancy management address becomes the active controller and the other controller goes into maintenance mode.

Cisco Wireless Controller (WLC) Release 8.4 introduces support for High Availability (HA) and N+1 on the Cisco Virtual Wireless Controller (vWLC) platform. For information on how to configure HA, see:

http:/​/​www.cisco.com/​c/​en/​us/​td/​docs/​wireless/​controller/​8-3/​config-guide/​b_cg83/​b_​cg83_​chapter_​01000.html

Hope this helps,

Todd

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks Todd, That's very much helpful.

Besides, What about Virtual controller?

Can we use virtual controller as an HA for a real controller? (for example: if the Primary device is 5520).

Please let me know about the virtual WLC options.

Thanks a lot !!

Note that these are the recommendations for configuring 1:1 redundant deployment, however, it is possible to use a different controller model for N+1 deployments. See here: N+1 High Availability Deployment Guide - N+1 High Availability Overview [Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controllers] - Cisco

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card