cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a WLC have multiple SNMP Trap Receivers with the same cummunity string?

ROBERT T
Level 4
Level 4

My Monitoring team want me to send traps to three different trap collectors with the same SNMP Community string.

I have 2106's, 2504, 4400's, 5500's, 7510 all running either version 6 or 7.

Is this possible on a Wireless controller? If so, how?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Read this from my friends blog ..

http://mrncciew.com/2013/02/14/configuring-snmp-on-wlc/

"

Also you can configure SNMP trap receiver where WLC can send its snmp trap messages.  Community Name means SNMP trap receiver name & that does not have any significance like snmp community value."

It doesnt appear to have the same significants .. But I havent tested it

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Erwin Salazar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, this is certainly possible.  From the WLC perspective just set up the community string you want to use:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_controller_setting.html#wpmkr1120672

On your trap receivers simply add the same community string and controller IP address.

Cheers,
Erwin

How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

Cheers, Erwin ______________________________________ How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

Another consideration configure trap receiver on the WLC. Add the servers IP addresses collecting the traps and the traps will follow.

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Here is my confusion. When I add a Trap receiver on the controller, it asks for "Community String" and "IP Address". It will not allow me to have 2 trap receivers with the same community string.

When I setup a template in PI 1.3, it has a field for "Template Name" and "IP address". Template Name must be unique.

When I apply the template to the controller, it takes the template name and puts it as the community string on the controller.

Is the WLC sending the trap with the the text in the community string field as the community string or is it not sending a community string?

Read this from my friends blog ..

http://mrncciew.com/2013/02/14/configuring-snmp-on-wlc/

"

Also you can configure SNMP trap receiver where WLC can send its snmp trap messages.  Community Name means SNMP trap receiver name & that does not have any significance like snmp community value."

It doesnt appear to have the same significants .. But I havent tested it

Please respond back with your results. Intertested in hearing ..

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

Yes, WLC can have multiple SNMP Trap Receivers with the same community string.

Hope this will help you.

I created 3 different templates in PI and pushed them out to the WLC's. On the controller the template name is in the field of community string.

I am waiting for my monitoring guy to tell me if he's getting traps on all 3 of his collectors. When I get then info I'll pass it on.

Thanks guys.

My monitoring team is reporting that they are getting the traps from the controllers. 

It would be very helpful if PI and the WLC would match on their terms and location of things. I think this is the biggest challenge that I have with PI now.

Thanks for your help!!

Excellent .. Thanks for supporting the rating system !

davinci
Level 1
Level 1

wlc error.PNG

I am having the same problem.  See my screenshot above.  The URLs you shared above are unclear.  how do we fix this?  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card