cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can I convert a current WLC to be SKU one ?

mina_raouf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

if I have a current WLC and it will be upgraded by newer one, can I use the old WLC and convert it to be SKU unit or this should be  hardcoded at the ordering phase 

2- Also what will happen with the license on the SKU unit, does the 90 days counter will be reset after the AP gets back to the primary WLC? noting that the SKU will have no permanent license 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you baught WLC with HA SKU from supplier, called as dedicated SKU unit (means it has no AP license and can work as secondary controller).

If you are using a WLC with X number of AP license on it and now you want to convert it ...means Its not dedicated SKU so you nee dto have atleast 50 AP license on it to convert to SKU.

Same kind of info here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/getting-started-with-wireless/convert-normal-5008-wlc-to-ha/td-p/3050562

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

If I'm reading this correctly you want to convert a HA WLC to a non HA unit ?  

If this unit was purchased as a HA unit you can not convert it back to a non HA  unit.  Cisco sold these units without any licenses and they were created to be HA units only.  

The exception to this is if a customer has purchased a primary controller such as a Cisco 5508-50 Wireless Controller and converted it to an HA controller and now wants to revert that to being a primary controller.

The case is that I have a 5508 WLC that was NOT working as  HA , and I will have a new WLC 5520 in the office, so can I reuse the 5508 WLC as HA SKU unit in another site or not?

The second question about the license, if the primary fails so all APs will join the SKU unit as a backup using the 90 days license after the AP will fall back if the primary comes up again, do the 90 days counters will be reset or not? 

Yes the wlc can be used as an HA at another site. 

If the HA unit becomes active do to the primary controller failing, you will have 90 days to get the primary up and running again. Once the primary unit syncs 

with the HA unit the counters will reset on the HA unit

I hope this helps

David

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

5508 needs to be at least licensed with 50 AP licenses(if you want to convert it to HA SKU) or needs to be a dedicated HA SKU unit.

Regards

So what is the difference if the WLC will be a dedicated SKU unit or it was having 50 AP license?

If you baught WLC with HA SKU from supplier, called as dedicated SKU unit (means it has no AP license and can work as secondary controller).

If you are using a WLC with X number of AP license on it and now you want to convert it ...means Its not dedicated SKU so you nee dto have atleast 50 AP license on it to convert to SKU.

Same kind of info here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/getting-started-with-wireless/convert-normal-5008-wlc-to-ha/td-p/3050562

Regards

mina_raouf
Level 1
Level 1

and in All cases 90 days counters will be reset after the primary comes up and AP fall back, right?

yes, its correct.

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

I have to raise another question, I want to convert a single controller to work as SKU unit, this controller is located in different physical location rather than the primary one, is this possible or the SKU works only in HA pair mode?

first of all imp info: SKU controller and primary controller must be connected directly on RP port or via layer 2 (if diff physical location is concerned) --> If you want to use AP/Client SSO

if you have 5508 wlc then you need minimum 50 AP license to convert it to SKU

if you have 2504 then (after 7.6 version) you can convert directly to secondary controller --> 2504 dont support AP/Client SSO, it only support HA N+1.

REgards

if I don't care about the AP/client SSO, I need just a dedicated single controller to be back up and it is located in the datacenter for example just in case any of the local controllers fails, all APs would join this regional backup controller, would that be possible?

yes it will then you dont need to convert it to SKU. Use as HA N+1 means both WLC must have enough AP license.

Regards

Like what was mentioned in the other post, a non ha sku controller, like your 5508 would need to have 50 AP license to be used as an ha sku which would provide you the max AP count to be used for a backup/secondary controller. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

That's why I am a bit confused with the statement of HA  as HA means for me a pair of controllers 

but what I want to do is to convert a 5508 controller "primary" to be SKU dedicated backup but it is  just a single controller and located in another physical location over the WAN, and I  don't need it as N+1 mode so as not to buy additional license especially that 5508 is out of sale now 

sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for the support 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: