cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I put an 1131 and a 3802 on the same WLAN controller?

tdennehy
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to migrate from legacy Cisco 1131s to 3802 or 2802 series access points.  As I understand it, the 1131s can go up to 8.0 code, and the 2800/3800 start at 8.2 - which leaves no migration path except standing up another WLC with the code you want to use for the newer APs.

I have heard there is a way to configure a WLC for compatibility mode so we can jump from the old to the new without standing up new controllers.

Anyone have a link to how to accomplish this?

3 Replies 3

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

if you want to use both APs you need to stand up another controller.  I hope you are not mixing the APs in the same area, you will have undesirable results. Cisco is pretty good about supporting APs for several years.  End of life for the  1131 APs was 2013.

I hope this helps

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Currently no migration path to get both APs on the same WLC (i wish there was).

The feature your talking about is on the 9800 controllers as far as I know which wont support the 1100 series APs.

You would need a new WLC to migrate to running 8.2.110.x or higher to support the 2800/3800s

Here is the compatibility matrix:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

A suggestion dependent on the timeline to get all the 1100 series replaced would be:

-Purchase New WLCs to commission the 2800/3800s to

-use a vWLC on the older code to support the 1100 series and then upgrade the existing WLC and commission the 2800/3800s to that one.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@tdennehy wrote:

which leaves no migration path except standing up another WLC with the code you want to use for the newer APs.

Actually, there is.  Do you have a spare 2800/3800?  If you have, load the spare 2800/3800 with Mobility Express to service all the new APs.  Leave the 1131 alone with 8.0.X.X controller until the rip-and-replace is complete.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card