Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Production WLC be used as an Anchor Controller

wick54namal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I want to check if anyone is using existing production WLC as a mobility anchor.

In our environment, we have central controller in Datacentre,  Datacentre WLC is trunked with Guest VLAN that sits on DMZ. Currently this WLC serve multiple sites and more than100 APs and 1000 users.

We have on-premise WLC at one of the large campus site and wondering instead of having a dedicated anchor controller, can I create a new guest SSID on on-prem and Datacentre WLCs and anchor it. My Goal here is to tunnel guest traffic from Campus to Dedicated DMZ guest interface in Datacentre.

Would it be possible or has anyone done this before?  My Datacentre WLC is AIR-CT7510-K9 running 8.3.143.0 and Campus WLC is AIR-CT3504K9  running 8.5.131.0

3 Replies 3

wick54namal
Level 1
Level 1

I read another article which specified that 7500 series WLCs don't support Anchoring.

Note: Cisco 7500 WLCs cannot be configured as a guest anchor controller.

Lowest model you can start with 2100/2500. 

we use 55XX  many  for guest anchros  - but end of life, it was very good stable product as my point of view).

What controllers can be used to support guest access in the unsecured network area?

The guest tunnel anchor function, which includes EoIP tunnel termination, Web authentication, and access control of guest clients, is supported in these Cisco Wireless LAN Controller platforms with Version 4.0 or later software images:

• Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Wireless Services Module (WiSM2)

• Cisco WiSM-2 Series Wireless LAN Controller

• Cisco Catalyst 3750G Integrated Wireless LAN Controller

• Cisco 5508 Series Wireless LAN Controller

• Cisco 2500 Series Wireless LAN Controller (support introduced in Software Release 7.4)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Brett Verney
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately the 7500 series WLCs are one of the few that can't be used as Guest Anchors, as you mentioned.

If you cannot easily replace the 7500 I would suggest getting a dedicated Guest Anchor WLC. The 3504 is a great option as it supports:

• 4-Gbps throughput
  • 3000 clients
  • 1x Multigigabit Ethernet interface (up to 5 Gigabit Ethernet), + 4x 1 Gigabit Ethernet
  • 4096 VLANs
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card