cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we stop propagating newer firmware for Aps after upgrading WLC?

Suchi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

We have a centralized Cisco 5508 WLC with 84 APs(1142N) in branches (slow WAN links), Current WLC  IOS version is 7.0.220.0.

Recently we bought new Aps Air CAP36021-N. These APs are not compatible with existing WLC IOS.  If I upgrade WLC, then can I stop propagating newer firmware for old Aps? Because it kills all WAN. What is the best way to do this?

Appreciate any suggestion

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If I upgrade WLC, then can I stop propagating newer firmware for old Aps? Because it kills all WAN. What is the best way to do this?

That defeats the true purpose of controller-based IOS.

You can schedule the WLC to upgrade the IOS after office hours. 

Yes I know your point is valid, but now I want to stop upgrading old Aps for few weeks. How can I do it? Because once I upgrade controller, it restarts & all Aps try to connect & grab new image. How can I stop it? Is it possible to stop before upgrading WLC?

Yes I know your point is valid, but now I want to stop upgrading old Aps for few weeks.

Ok, let's make things clear here.

Once the WLC reboots because it got a new firmware, the WLC will push this firmware across to all the AP.  This will only happen ONCE.

So let's say that there was a power outage to the WLC, when the WLC boots up again, it will not push the same firmware across because the AP version matches.

Now if you do not want the WLC to push the new firmware .... I don't know how this can be done.

Like I said, if you don't want to kill the WAN link, then schedule the WLC to reboot during outside business hours or you can manually set to push the firmware to the APs one-at-a-time.

Really appreciate your response, so I can schedule  Aps upgrading one-at-a time. Is it command line based? Anyway, I have restart WLC to deploy new Aps. When do I want schedule Aps upgrading to one at a time? Before or after the restart WLC ?

so I can schedule  Aps upgrading one-at-a time.

That's NOT what I said.

If you want the image to be pushed out by the WLC one-at-a-time then you'll need to do this MANUALLY. 

OK, I clearly got your idea. So I can’t do one at a time , because we have sites all over the Australia & can’t kill WAN links as well. So no way to resolve this issue now…….

So I can’t do one at a time

That's not what I said, either. 

You CANNOT schedule an upgrade of the APs one-at-at time.

You CAN schedule the WLC to push the firmware to ALL THE APs at a particular time.

You CAN MANUALLY push the WLC to upgrade the AP one-at-a-time. 

Yes.  Pre-Download Image option or you can do it CLI:  config ap image predownload primary

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card