cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Join AP's to Mobility Express controller (1830 AP's)

marcvb123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The installation/configuration of first AP (with the mobility express image) was straithforward.

Installing the second AP (I have to do 6 AP's) does not work. After connecting the new AP on the switch (SG300-10MPP) I can see the new AP in the "Network summary" with his Mac-address.

I can't see an IP-address and the new AP can't join the controller.

I tried already a lot of alternatives but nothing helps.

Somebody who has had a similar problem ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Please upgrade/downgrade the ME to 8.2.166.0 (stable code). 

AP trying to join the WLC will get the image from the configured TFTP server. 

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Vengatesa Prasath
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What is the version of the AP's? 

Are you trying to join UX mode AP?

Can you share the console logs from AP which tries to join. 

Please share below output from the Mobility express (WLC):

show ap summary 

show ap join stats summary all

show ap join stats detailed <base mac of AP>     --->(base Mac of ap which is not joining)

Hi,

First of all the system info about the controller:

Model   AIR-AP1832I-E-K9
Serial Number   KWC21240488
Software Version   8.4.100.0

Management IP Address: 192.168.1.230 (static)

Sorry, what do you mean by "to join UX mode AP"?

In the console I can see the mac-addres of the new AP but the AP has no IPaddress and can't join. If I give the AP a static ip-address joining is still not possible.

Can the problem be related to the port settings of my switch ? The switch operates in level 3 mode (model SG300-10MPP)
This is the message in the log of the port on the switch
2147483616 2017-Nov-03 18:29:14 Warning %CDP-W-DUPLEX_MISMATCH: Duplex mismatch detected on interface gi7.      

Is there a possibilty that I send some printscreens to you ? 

Hi,

Hi,

Please set Full Duplex on the AP Connected port.

for example:

Switch(config)#interface gigabitEthernet 1/0/2
Switch(config-if)#duplex full

Switch(config-if)# shut

Switch(config-if)# no shut

Hi,

Sorry, I have put the port on 100M full duplex. But there is no difference

I think on network level everything is OK because I see the new AP in the dashboard of the controller.

In my opinion there are 2 problems:

1. The new AP has no IP address - and there is a DHCP server . This problem I can manage because on the controller I can give an ip-address to the new AP.

2. But then I still get the message that the new AP can't JOIN to this controller. 

Hi,

Please check the below:

--- Make sure AP and WLC are in same subnet. 

--- Verify the country code configured on WLC. 

--- verify the date and time

Collect below outputs from (WLC) using: 

---- Show interface summary

---- show AP summary

---- Show country 

---- Show time

---- show inventory

Then login into builtin AP part by entering: 

(Cisco Controller) >apciscoshell
!!Warning!!: You are entering ap shell. This will stop you from establishing new telnet/SSH/Web sessions to controller.
Also the exsisting sessions will be suspended till you exit the ap shell.
To exit the ap shell, use 'logout'

Provide us the below output from AP login also console output: 

AP#show ip interface brief

---show capwap client rcb

Hi Vengatesa,

The have the subnet, country code and date&time verified and they are OK.

Afterwards I collected the information of the WLC. All the information you can find in the putty.log.

For the "apciscoshell"command  it is necessary to connect to the console port on the AP. Therefore, I think, I need a special cable (RS232 on the PC and RJ45 on the AP). At this moment I don't have such cable so this information is not included.

Hi,

Please run below debug on WLC .

---Debug capwap error enable

--- show ap image all

I assume the AP which tried to join is not on same image. I have seen similar issue in lab however we can confirm from Debug output.

Hi,

I think you are right !

So, what to do next ...

Hi,

Please follow the below procedure to upgrade the AP's.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_Cisco_Mobility_Express_Deployment_Guide/b_Cisco_Mobility_Express_Deployment_Guide_chapter_0111.html#id_36117

Please make sure you download the ME software (.Zip file) from cisco.com

Hi,

I hope this will resolve the issue. But I tried to start and have still the following questions:

- The Master AP (the AP with ME) has a 8.4.100 image. The other AP's has 8.2.151 image (I have 6 AP's to do). I see on the website that there is newer version 8.5.105. Is it advisable to install the most recent image ?

- In the documention is mentioned that once the Master AP is upgraded all the other AP's JOINED to the controller are upgraded automatically. But here the AP's are not JOINED !

- Is there a servicecontract necessary (see file) to download the software ? Even if Cisco deliver new devices that doesn't work together !

Hi,

Please upgrade/downgrade the ME to 8.2.166.0 (stable code). 

AP trying to join the WLC will get the image from the configured TFTP server. 

Problem solved!

Quick summary:

- cause of the issue: image version of Master-AP was 8.4; image version of other AP's was 8.2 So the joining proces didn't take place

- diagnostic: you need to install a ssh or telnet client (Putty) to find out the version of the software images

- solution: you have to install a tftp server (tftpd32) and downgrade the Master-AP to version 8.2. From then on everything was automatic (let's say peace of cake)

Once again many thanks for the great help and support !!!  

Dear ,

1. I have 1830 master AP with the IOS version 8.3.112.0. I want to join 7 more access point of the same model. I want to know do i need to download the .tar or .zip file for the IOS to make these AP live with Master AP..

Hi,

If the AP's have all the same version of software there will be no problem. My problem was that the Master AP and the other AP's had a different version.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card