cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CapWap to ME conversion

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

Have a few 1832i(s) that came w/ the CapWap image that I'd like to get going w/ ME instead.  I've converted 1 of them to the ME image and I'm able to get into the controller and begin the setup.  I have the others on the same vlan as the controller so thought I would be able to convert them directly from the controller as I've done in the past when using a capwap 1832(1832 would show up in the controller and then I'm have the option to convert it to ME).  Will the APs join the ME controller if they're on the same vlan?  I didn't add an option w/ the controller ip but I do that tomorrow if required.  

Controller is running 8.5.161 and the APs shipped with 8.5.140 if it makes any difference.  

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Aps will discover any controller if both are on the same subnet. You don’t need option 43 or dns for a join to happen. Now just make sure you meet the requirements for an ap to join. That will be documented in the Mobility Express guide.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks.  That's what I thought but for some reason I'm not seeing the access points join.  I'm not seeing any download requests coming from the access points on the TFTP server.  

--

Found the issue.  WLC was on a new segment that didn't have internet access so the time was off.  Fixed that and almost instantly all the APs popped up in the controller.  Now trying to see if i can get them upgraded and converted. 

Well you always can just upload the image to each ap. That would save you time and then figure out how to fix it later.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card