Views
Helpful
Replies

Carrier Busy shows all channels 100%

sclawrenc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community!

I need some expertise on this subject. I have a 851w router and everything seems to be working OK, but I have a question about the wireless channels all showing 100%. My wireless seems to work fine and the only reason I checked was becuase I noticed that my wireless would drop down a bit and then come back up pretty consistantly, but my devices seem to alwasy stay connected.

I read some of the previous posts where people asked why their router would show 100% channel use all the time, and found one post that suggested that I reset the router and then reconfigure it so I did. I used the reset button upon power up, and then did a write erase in order to configure it from the ground up using the CLI. However, it still shows 100% channel use all the time.

My devices stay connected, but the signal is a bit low at times with some consistant flucuation in signal strength. I have checked the area using WiFi Anal and it doesn't really show that many networks and I chose the channel with only one other network visible and it's only visible sometimes so it must be somewhat far away. I tried both of the least used channels (1 and 11) but with the same results. I even brought the router downstairs and it still showed 100% everytime I ran the carrier busy command. I would think if it was a true congestion area, I would see some variation in the signal and not always at 100%.

So what do you think? Are there any IOS or firmware updates that you know about that would address such a problem? I googled about it for a while and dind't find much either which is why I thought I would ask you all here.

I attached my config file just in case you want to see it. It's just for my home use. Thanks in advance!

Sean

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ok!! The carrier busy test on ISR wont give us the right info (Carried busy wont work on ISR).. it always shows 100%, its a software Bug with hardware limitations here is the bug details..

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCef04982

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

Hi,

>> So is there a way to see why the network signal will drop and then go back up again in the 851?

ANS - We need to check whats going on at the time we lose the connection or the conenctions drops or the signal.. that is, may be the radio went down or something like that.. no specific reason..

>> Thank  you again for your help. I am thinking of just using the 802.11g, so  would that be done by a no command for the lower speeds and just enabled  basic on all supported 802.11g speeds?

ANS - here is the link which will help you to configure the radio data rates to allow only G.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_21a_JA1/configuration/guide/scg12421aJA1-chap6-radio.html#wp1101903

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ok!! The carrier busy test on ISR wont give us the right info (Carried busy wont work on ISR).. it always shows 100%, its a software Bug with hardware limitations here is the bug details..

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCef04982

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks so much for your fast and helpful answer!!! I spent a good bit of time trying to find that bit of info somewhere on Google and here, but no luck. I tried to access the link you sent me, but my account doesn't have the permissions needed to follow it so I couldn't look at the bug details. How could I get the access? Do I have to pay to join or pay for a support contract?

So is there a way to see why the network signal will drop and then go back up again in the 851?

Thank you again for your help. I am thinking of just using the 802.11g, so would that be done by a no command for the lower speeds and just enabled basic on all supported 802.11g speeds?

I will eventually open up a port for remote access and for helping other people remotely, but I haven't started looking into that yet. Probably going to use a dynamic dns service and foward that to my WAN IP, which will then by forwarded by the 851 to the computer I choose.

Thanks again!

we dont need to have the contract t oview this i guess!! anywas here is the bug details..

Radio Carrier Busy Test can be entered but not functional

Symptom:

The results of a carrier busy test indicate all channels are 100% busy.

Conditions:

Run a carrier busy test
UC520W>enable
UC520W# dot11 dot11Radio 0/5/0 carrier busy

retrieve the results
UC520W#show dot11 carrier busy
Frequency  Carrier Busy %
---------  --------------
2412        100
2417        100
2422        100
2427        100
2432        100
2437        100
2442        100
2447        100
2452        100
2457        100
2462        100

Workaround:

None

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi,

>> So is there a way to see why the network signal will drop and then go back up again in the 851?

ANS - We need to check whats going on at the time we lose the connection or the conenctions drops or the signal.. that is, may be the radio went down or something like that.. no specific reason..

>> Thank  you again for your help. I am thinking of just using the 802.11g, so  would that be done by a no command for the lower speeds and just enabled  basic on all supported 802.11g speeds?

ANS - here is the link which will help you to configure the radio data rates to allow only G.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_21a_JA1/configuration/guide/scg12421aJA1-chap6-radio.html#wp1101903

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

The connection doesn't drop, but when looking at it on my android using wifi anal is drops a bit and then comes back up again. I have tried it on all 3 channels 1,6,11 with the same results. Channel 11 has the least amount of traffice on it which is what it's currently set to.

I read the document on the 802.11g only radio setup, but it was a bit confusing. For example, it states to enable only G, you just need to set any of the supports G data rates to basic. Does that mean I could set Basic 6.0 and that would only allow G to connect?

I also see the "speed throughput ofdm" command which seems to disable the CCK rates and only allow the G rates. I searched for more information on that command and didn't find anything. Why would I want to enable that or not use it? I'm thinking of just using that since I only want G clients to connect and want to have the best possible throughput.

Thanks for your info,

Sean

Hi,

I read the document on the 802.11g only radio setup, but it was a bit  confusing. For example, it states to enable only G, you just need to set  any of the supports G data rates to basic. Does that mean I could set  Basic 6.0 and that would only allow G to connect?

>> To enable only G, the datarates 1 , 2 , 5.5 and 11 should be disabled and the 6 should be Basic or Required.

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card