Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 9130 vs 9120 axi

susim
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I don't need 8x8 radio ap's . Andthe price difference between 9130 ax and 9120ax is not much significant .

So which one is recommended 9130axi  or 9120axi

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I recommend neither. 

Ask you Cisco AM/SE for more information about the soon-to-be-announced AP models.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may find some information here  https://blog.router-switch.com/2020/08/5-models-comparison-of-cisco-catalyst-9100-wifi-6-ap/ : 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Also consider that 9120 supports 2.5Gig multi gig speed compare to 5Gig in 9130, if that’s something worth the price for you and your switch are multi gig then buy 9130, else 9120. Also as suggested talk to Cisco, they might give you upcoming roadmaps with NDA but with the supply chain delays you never know these days. You might be better off with one of these models. 

-hope this helps-

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

9130 is overrated, the main benefit is that allows you to have concurrent 2 X 5GHz radios and 1X 2.4GHz radio working at the same time. when in dual 5GHz, both 5GHz radios are 4X4, and when only single 5GHz radio is in use 5GHz radio will be 4X4. So if you need your environment to have concurrent usage of all 3 radios then this is the AP for you. Also note that if you have the USB port of the AP on in 9130AXI, then you need UPOE capable switches, if not expect 5GHz radio to be 4X4. 9130AXE to work 8X8 it is must to have UPOE switches. So pay extra attention to the AP model you are ordering and it's POE capability as per your requirement. In real world scenario's your AP will rarely exceed 1Gig in the uplink, so if you still think mgig is useful then 9130 can give you 5Gig over the uplink.

9120 is either you can have dual 5GHz radio or 1 X 5GHz radio and 1X 2.4GHz radio. AP is capable of POE+ and has a 2.5Gig uplink, as I mentioned before very rarely you cross 1Gig in real world usage. This AP should suffice for most of the complex requirements and if 9120E or 9120P is coupled with proper antenna's you can have 5GHz only network. With 9130 also you can achieve the same but you need the Dart to RP-TNC breakout cable. 

Both AP's are equipped with RF-ASIC which should provide you cleanair and other RF insights when coupled with PRIME or DNAC. Due to this both AP's can do WIPS and rogue detection/containment while serving clients.

At the end of the dat 9136, which is Wifi6E capable AP is released and supported by 9800 WLC's. If you are planning to future proof your solution this should be in your BOM. But be ready to do accept the bugs and issues this will bring as still the client compatibility is very low. And even the client drivers are not stable, still Intel and other vendors are trying to work on their drivers to support Wifi6 standard, so wifi6e enterprise ready drivers may take some months or years to be ready. Since Wifi6E capable 9136 is the top of the line product, you may have to evaluate that as well. I would also suggest you to check with Cisco or your cisco partners to check whether Cisco is planning on releasing any other entry or mid level 6E AP's.

Hi @Arshad Safrulla 

Thanks for the Detailed reply.

9130AX I does not support  8x8 ?

9130 is overrated, the main benefit is that allows you to have concurrent 2 X 5GHz radios and 1X 2.4GHz radio working at the same time.could you clarify the below

when in dual 5GHz, both 5GHz radios are 4X4, and when only single 5GHz radio is in use 5GHz radio will be 4X4

As I understand both will support external antennas

you said for 9130 does require a breakou cable for external antenna's

Thanks

9130AXI supports 8X8 when only one 5GHz radio is turned on, when both 5GHz radios are turned on then they are 4X4. As I mentioned before either it can be 8x8 + 4x4 or 4x4 + 4x4 + 4x4. 9130 will fit in to certain cliché use cases, such as very high density deployments which require 2.4Ghz connectivity, hospitals where legacy 2.4Ghz devices needs to be supported etc. So my previous statement doesn't apply to all use cases, it all depends on the client requirements and the wireless design as whole.
The Catalyst 9130AXE does not use RP-TNC connectors, so you need the AIR-CAB-002-D8-R= adapter or new antennas with dart connector. So whatever the use case 9130AXE needs dart connector antennas or dart breakout adapter to install other antennas. Cat9120 has both dart connector and RP-TNC connectors built-in to the AP, it must be noted that when the dart connector is plugged into AP will shutdown the 2.4GHz radio.
For more clarity I would recommend you to read 9130 and 9120 datasheets which covers almost all the above mentioned points. I would also recommend you to read the deployment guides for these AP models as well.

Hi @Arshad Safrulla 

I am really confused about the antenna , the model 9130-axi-i  does support external antennas , In some places I have to keep directional antennas . As I understand it does support only internal antennas

Thanks

9130 has 2 different versions,

* 9130AXI - AP with internal omni antenna
* 9130AXE - AP's where you must connect external antenna.
Which part is confusing? As I mentioned before please read the Data sheets and deployment guide for more clarity
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/deployment-guide-c07-743490.html
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/nb-06-cat-9130-ser-ap-ds-cte-en.html

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Note the new 6E Catalyst 916x APs have been officially announced now:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/index.html#~products

But when they will be available to order and ship remains to be seen given the current supply chain issues.
CW9164 and CW9166 will be available before CW9162 which will be at least 3 months later.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: