Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9800-CL Management over Wireless not possible

florianhaake
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Catalyst 9800-CL in a test environement with three 9120 APs in Flex mode. I habe enabled "wireless mgmt-via-wireless". But when I am connected over wireless with a client that is connected in the same vlan as the controller I can´t access the controller itself. All other IPs within the network are reachable.

When I am connected via cable - everything is working fine.

Do you have an idea what is going worng?

Thank you very much

8 Replies 8

joey.debra
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have the answer for your solution but just a few questions:

Can you ping the mgmt IP address you're trying to connect to?
If yes, do you get a login screen but just can't connect to it because of the mgmt over wireless (this was the behavior in AireOS)?
Do you have a OOB interface configured that is reachable from the AP mgmt VLAN with routing setup correctly?
If OK you should try connecting to CLI/GUI via the OOB interface, not the AP mgr interface.  I know on the wire you can use both.

klopez138
Level 1
Level 1

I too am having this same issue. The odd thing is that it happens intermittently. We've enabled the wireless mgmt-via-wireless command and rebooted several times in between toggling the setting and still no luck. We've also deleted the sessions for the clients that we're testing with and are still unable to access the controller from a wireless connection. Has anybody else had this issue and found a definite fix?

Jurgens L
Level 3
Level 3

This might not fix your issue but worth checking. Ensure the WLC's interfaces are not mapped to the same virtual switch, this can sometimes create interesting scenarios.

https://www.wifireference.com/2019/08/24/cisco-catalyst-9800-cl-deployment-guide/

Thanks for reading and replying. I actually only have one interface configured. Screen cap is attached for reference.

asilvera4
Level 1
Level 1

I realize that this is an older thread, but did you ever find the answer to your problem? I'm having the exact same issue. Flex connect, single flat VLAN.. I can reach other clients and other devices on the network, but i can't even ping the WMI of the WLC. Wired clients can reach the WLC just fine. I've tried pcap at various places, and it appears that traffic bound for the WLC isn't making it out of the AP onto the local switch.

AdamStewart0400
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have searched high and low for an answer on how to access the WMI wirelessly.

For such a simple resolution, I have not found the command 'wireless mgmt-via-wireless' referenced anywhere up until now.

Thanks. 

Hello Florian, 

Was your network flat VLAN-wise? If yes, this could have been the problem:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvu29200

Cheers, 

Alejandro Barquero

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: