Views
Helpful
Replies

CATALYST 9800 LICENSE TO AP1830

shlomoi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we recently purchased a new 9800 controller that replaces the old 5520. All of our APs are model 1830, do I need to buy a special license for the controller or AP for them to work together, how do I check what license is on our AP 1830 (there is a command to check the license).

Thank you

4 Replies 4

ammahend
VIP
VIP

You need to buy at least DNA essential license, you can login to your smart licensing portal and check if you have any existing license. You can just configure your controller with your Cisco ID to talk to Smart licensing portal and 9800‘s job is only to validate if you have enough licensing available in portal in order to let AP join.

Also don’t forget to check wireless compatibility matrix to make sure you’re running the version on the controller which will support 1800 series APs

-hope this helps-

Hi,

Thanks for your help, do I need the DNA essential license on the controller or only on the AP? Also, the network is internal and closed without access to the portal, how do I check what license is on the APS. Is there a command that can be checked?

Thank you

License are purchased per AP, If you have hundred APs then you need 100 licenses. When you purchase a license from the partner they will ask you for your domain name and email address associated with your smart account and they’ll assign the licenses directly to your portal, usually in a close network customers would host the portal on-Prem, see details below 

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/tech-notes/c9800_sl_slr_dg.pdf

On controller on the command

show license all
Show license status

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/smart-licensing.html#Cisco_Task_in_List_GUI.dita_59800993-0d0e-4344-8df3-371b4e4aed61

-hope this helps-

At the moment all 9800 releases support 1830 APs so that won't be a problem.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card