Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9800 "No licenses in use"

Hello,

I am running into unexpected behavior trying to integrate a catalyst 9800 controller with a smart licensing satellite.

The WLC is running 16.12.01s .

The issue is that the WLC appears REGISTERED/AUTHORIZED and even shows up on the satellite's inventory, but it does not consume any license. In the wlc licensing tab in the GUI i see the message "No licenses in use" (see screenshot).

Also, when running `sho license status` in CLI, i see the REGISTERED/AUTHORIZED state, but none of the dates show up (last renewal attempt, next renewal attempt...). I checked the time config on the wlc and the satellite and they both show the same time (and are synchronized with the same server).

Show license status output :

Smart Licensing is ENABLED

Utility:

Data Privacy:
  Sending Hostname: yes
    Callhome hostname privacy: DISABLED
    Smart Licensing hostname privacy: DISABLED
  Version privacy: DISABLED

Transport:
  Type: Callhome

Smart Account: SSMS UNI.LU
  Virtual Account: SSMS UNI.LU
  Export-Controlled Functionality: ALLOWED
  Initial Registration: SUCCEEDED on
  Last Renewal Attempt: SUCCEEDED on
  Next Renewal Attempt:
  Registration Expires:

License Authorization:
  Last Communication Attempt: SUCCEEDED on
  Next Communication Attempt:
  Communication Deadline:

Export Authorization Key:
  Features Authorized:
    <none>

On the satellite i see the WLC in "product instances", but no license are consumed in the "licenses" tab.

Does anyone know this issue ? I have performed similar confiugration with catalyst 9300 running 16.9.4 and as far as a i can remember no additional steps were required after correctly configuring call-home and registration token.

Thanks!

16 Replies 16

jegan_rajappa
Level 1
Level 1

These issues are resolved in 17.3.x too, however you cannot use on premises smart satellite manager (SSM) to register license because 9800 support is removed in SSM, 9800  would be supported in SSM in upcoming release  8.x which is expected in Mar 2021, until then Cisco smart software manager (CSSM) is the only way to register license in 17.3.1

17.3.2a supports with new deployment model to report license usage.

Unfortunately, the problem returned with an upgrade from IOS-XE 17.3.3 to 17.3.4

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card