Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing Management Interface IP - 5508 HA

moyn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We would like to change the management interface IP for 5508 WLCs in HA.

I looked at the following thread which makes complete sense.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-wireless-mobility-subjects/management-interface-ip-address-change-in-5508-wlc-cluster/m-p/2693715#M69524

But, the issue is that currently all the APs have existing WLC IP configured manually. My question is, do we need to manually configure the new management IP on all the APs? If yes, is there a way we could configure the new IP on all the APs?

All the APs have static IP configured, so not sure if DHCP Option 43 would work here?

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

if you are using cisco prime then push the new WLC Mgmt IP/Name to all APs using a template.

or 

Just prepare a list of all AP names in excel and use this command on WLC to push ..

config ap primary-base controller_name Cisco_AP [controller_ip_address]
config ap secondary-base controller_name Cisco_AP [controller_ip_address]
config ap tertiary-base controller_name Cisco_AP [controller_ip_address]

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

Thanks Sandeep.

Is there any configuration example available on how to use the Prime Template to push the WLC IP?

The AP will by default (always) do a DNS search for cisco-lwapp=controller  and cisco-capwap-controller. after failing to reach programmed target.

Programmers did not think it was useful to push fresh controller targets as a global function like pushing an image.

You would need to create a Lightweight Access Point Configuration Templates, to do so you need to go to Configuration > Templates > Lightweight Access Points and click on add (the link below shows you the steps you need to follow for creating the template):

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-4/user/guide/bk_CiscoPrimeInfrastructure_3_4_0_UserGuide/bk_CiscoPrimeInfrastructure_3_4_0_UserGuide_chapter_011001.html#task_1608474

I found this website that shows what you would like to do on the APs from PI (filter by "If you have Prime Infrastructure managing your wireless devices, you can create a "Lightweight AP Template" and push out the Primary Controller name and IP to any number of AP's you wish"):

https://www.lifewithoutwires.net/post/migrating-from-cisco-aireos

Once the template is done, you need to apply it to the APs

wow..  that worked.  I occasionally use Prime to push CLI templates to switches, but have not used this module in the past.

just filled in the primary/secondary targets, selected all AP's on the target WLC and wa la..  

Now as to the 2nd tidbit, I just point my airos ap at the 9800 and wait.

Thank you

Now when I bounce the WLC with its new management IP/vlan    here should be a shorter down time.             

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card