Views
Helpful
Replies

Channel auto og manual (TV senetive)

kimhoersted
Beginner
Beginner

Hi

I have recently switched from AP20802I setup (mobility express) to Catalyst 9120AXI (Embedded wireless controller). I am a little unsertin that I perhaps have made some configuration problem, because my TV quite often get timeout from Wireless (looks like when AP changes channel). AP changes channel properly becuase of interferense from neighbours wifi.

Would it be better to set both 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz on a static channel? If so what is recommended. I live i Europe (Denmark).

It worked fine with auto on my AP2802 setup.

Thanks in advance

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Set the TV to use only 5 Ghz channel.  

The time to use 2.4 Ghz, even at home, is over.  

But my TV do not allow me to set it to use only 5Ghz

Configure the SSID to only be broadcasting in 5 Ghz.

But it worked fine with my old setup with AP2802I. So I assume it is some setting that is wrong

@kimhoersted wrote:
But it worked fine with my old setup with AP2802I. So I assume it is some setting that is wrong

Because the APs support 2.4 Ghz radio can switch to 5.0 Ghz, I am suspecting the environment is too "noisy" for 2.4 Ghz to operate. 

Manually configure the micro-5 Ghz radio back to 2.4 Ghz, however, this will only make 2.4 Ghz worse.  

And how do I do what you suggest?

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Let's go back to basics...

What software version are you using on the 9120? (make sure it's up to date as per TAC recommended below)
Check what bands the radios are currently operating on? (2.4 and 5, or both 5)
What channels are they using?
What do AP and WLC logs show when TV disconnects?
I find Apple TV inside a shelf has much better reception than massive LG TV on top so I use the Apple TV for everything now and the TV as display. (they're both on opposite side of the house from router so it is the worst spot for reception)
As Leo suggests I have found using separate 5GHz and 2.4GHz SSIDs better.  Those clients that only support 2.4 get their own SSID, the rest are on 5 only.

Software version is 17.9.4.27

The are setup to use both 2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz

Channels are automatic assigned.

- What do AP and WLC logs show when TV disconnects? - Where do I see this? My setup is running EMC.

So you suggest that I setup seperate SSID with 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz? Should I then turn off dual radio or does this not have any thing to do with this?

CISCO radios.png

Software version is good.

No need to change radios.  Simply setup a second SSID (different name obviously) then set first one to 5 only and second one to 2.4 only.  Anything that drops off the 5GHz SSID can be joined to the 2.4GHz SSID.

> Where do I see this? (logs): simplest option "show log" on EWC.  Also:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-9/config-guide/ewc_cg_17_9/conditional_debug_and_radioactive_tracing.html
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/213949-wireless-debugging-and-log-collection-on.html
And refer to the config and debug analyzer links below.
To access the AP console: wireless ewc-ap ap shell username admin
using whatever username and password you set for your AP in the AP join profile.  Note SSH also needs to be enabled in the AP join profile.  Then you can do "show log" on the AP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: