Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1142 AP VLAN's, Bridge-Groups and BVI Interface

JakeT1991
Level 1
Level 1

HI everybody,

I'm having a load of trouble changing the vlan's around on my access point. I used to simply have the 'core vlan' traffic and the management IP (on BVI1) on the same vlan (60) and obviously therefore the same subnet.

I now want the 'core vlan' traffic to stay on vlan 60 and be on GigabitEthernet0.60, Dott11Radio0.60 and Dott11Radio1.60 and the management IP to be on vlan 40. These interfaces have now been set into bridge-group 60 as opposed to bridge-group 1.

I have added a sub-interface GigabitEthernet0.40 and assigned this as the native vlan as well as adding it to bridge-group 1.

I have also set the management IP as the same as the subnet on vlan 40.

All is working bar the 'core-vlan' traffic. I can telnet to the ap from any of the PC's on vlan 40 and the guest network on vlan 50 is working perfectly.

I'm not too familiar with bridges and I've read that there are little things like BVI1 is automatically 'attached' to whichever bridge-group that the native vlan is in and so am wondering if there is something simple that I'm missing.

I have attached the current config and if anybody more skilled than myself could offer any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

By the way, the ap is plugged directly into a 6509 (CatOS) and the config on that allows all vlans and has a native vlan of 40.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

eric mason
Level 1
Level 1

hey this is eric, have you set the native vlan on the port on the sw going to the ap?

it should look like this 

SW(config)#do show run int f0/2
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 146 bytes
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
 description AP_cisco_lobby 
 switchport trunk native vlan 99
 switchport mode trunk
end

vlan 99 being native in this case 

Hi,

Yes I hadthe native VLAN configured properly on the switch but it still wasn't working.

It turned out to be something weird with ARP as I was getting incomplete ARP entries on the AP.

In the end I upgraded the supervisor in the 6500 and the IOS on the AP and all has been working fine since.

Thanks anyway :)

Jake

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

management is always BVI 1.

So you would take your .60 sub interface and

encapsulation dot1q 60 native

This should put the mgmt traffic as untagged into VLAN 60 on bridge-group 1.

Just make sure you are calling vlan 40 under your SSID.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card