Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1522 Mesh AP 802.11a/n Signal Power Reset To Default Value 1

Steven Chua
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I  have deployed 2 x Cisco 1522 mesh access point and configured both as root ap. On  top of that, I have also customized the power setting for the

802.11a/n  signal to value 5. However, I discovered that whenever the  mesh APs reboot, the power of 802.11a/n signal to will be reset to value 1.

Thus, I would like to ask is this a norm behaviour or I have mis-configured some setting?

Thks and Rgds

9 Replies 9

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Steven:

Today I started my vacation or else I would have tested that for you.

What I remember is that my 1522 APs keep the config but not 100%. Do you save the config after changing the power settings?

What is your wlc code version?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hi Amjad,

Yes, I saved the config but the AP 802.11a/n signal will still reset to the default Tx power of 1 after reboot. The WLC code version is 7.0.116.0.

I have came the below and do not know not if it might be the cause. Please refer to the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_220_0.html

CSCto34834

CSCto44483

Please assist to advice if that could be the cause.

Thks and Rgds

Steven,

Those bug ids do not pertain to what you are seeing. Is there a reason you set the 5ghz to power level 5? Why not let RRM make the changes if you think that the mesh is affecting your other wireless on the 5ghz.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

The reason being that the users would want to reduce wireless coverage so that he can reduce the wireless "linkage" to the neighbouring housing.

Do you also encounter such issue?

Rgds

Not at all... Since only one of my mesh installs were like your setup, but around 10 RAPs only, we left the 5ghz tx alone. All my other mesh install, we also left alone, but we were using the 5ghz as backhaul only. So the question is, why is the user worried about the 5ghz bleeding... What about the 2.4ghz.

-Scott

Here is what you can do.... If your running 7.2 on the WLC, you can use RF profiles and specify the TX max and min 12.5dbm, 25dbm or any value that you want. Then you can assign the RAPs to a different AP Group and assign that RF profile to that AP Group. That will work in your situation..

-Scott

Hi Scott,

The reason being that all the Outdoor APs are been deployed at RAP. Hence, the 5ghz is been used to serve the client. Thus, that is why the user is worry. As for the 2.4ghz, the Tx powers setting will remain as what has been customised after reboot unlike the 5ghz that will reset to the default of 1 after reboot. The software version that the user is currently using is 7.0.116.0.

Rgds

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Understood... Like I mentioned, in 7.2 you can use rf profiles to set your max and min dbm. Otherwise, I don't have a fix for the issue of the raps defaulting back to RX level 1.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Noted. Thanks.

Rgds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card