cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2504 Redudancy

Noovi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys, i have 2 cisco 2504 WLC deployed in N+1 setup.

As I heard cisco 2504 is not supporting SSO, my question is what will be the impact on users from AP failover from Primary to secondary?

(I have around 50+ APs connected to Primary and i also did AP failover from Primary to secondary and it tooks max 2-3 mins toassociate with Secondary.)

I just want to confirm if we can do seemless failover ? or It is not possible(users will impact) in n+1 setup. 

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Because the "HA" is based on the primary/secondary settings of the AP, this means that when the primary fails there will be about 25 seconds for the AP to fail over to the secondary. When this happens no wireless will be available. Next, if the primary and secondary controllers have different firmwares then the outage will take longer. Much, much longer.

Noovi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Leo,

So you are saying AP will take 25 secs to join on secondary WLC and then user will get wireless.

Can we say for 50+ APs it will take 2-3 mins ( as i did failover) to get wireless connectivity?

And zero downtime is really not possible?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Not possible. Not with a 2504. If you upgrade to a WLC 3504 then HA SSO is supported. Both units will act like a single logical unit.

Noovi
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Leo

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card