Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3600 and WSSI

janesh_abey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a config example detailing how AP sniffer mode and SE capability can be configured on a Cisco 3600 that is equpped with a  WSSI. I came across the WSSI deployment guide which does not go into the detailed that I would like to know.I'm particularly after  the flow details.

WLC config guide 7.4 only discusses  the legacy  AP sniffer and SE configuration.

Can anyone point me to a document that explains  this info in detail pls?

Thanks very much.

cheers,

janesh

1 Reply 1

David Watkins
Level 4
Level 4

The WSSI module is only able to be used as a dedicated "monitor" mode module.  The config guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11983/products_tech_note09186a0080bed15d.shtml#conf

states that...

"Note that the WSSI module is only active on AP3600s configured  in       either Local Mode or FlexConnect Mode. The WSSI module is disabled  in all other       modes." 

There doesn't appear to be any  way to configure the "mode" of the WSSI module itself and anything but  Local or Flex on the 3600 would disable the module.  The module  is intended to provide a dedicated radio to offload all monitoring  features normally part of Local mode off-channel scanning operation or ELM:  CleanAir, RRM, Rogue Detection (not detector), Location/Context, WIPS,  allowing the primary radio to service clients 100% of the time, while  the WSSI performs all other tasks.

You may want to contact Cisco TAC or you SE for confirmation and perhaps request that a feature enhancement bug is created.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card