Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5520 (RTU) License

Jay233
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

What happens if the RTU (Evaluation) license expires? Do I need to install permanent licenses to continue using the WLC.

At the moment I only have  RTU - 1500 AP license operating (see image attached).

After 3 weeks and the Evaluation RTU expires will I have access to the WLC GUI?

Cheers,

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes you have GUI access :

regarding the License check the FAQ :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/3504-wireless-controller/214106-licensing-on-3504-5520-and-8540-wireles.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks balaji.bandi

I'm really struggling to comprehend what is meant by obligated!

The link you sent doesn't really answer my question - What happens if the RTU (Evaluation) license expires?

So what I can gather is nothing happens when the RTU license expires, is this correct? The WLC will be fully operational and will support 1500 access points with out issue using SSO (HA).

Q. What is evaluation (ap_count) license?

A. Evaluation license is a demo/trial license meant to be used during the deployment of the network and testing phases. It expires after 90 days. The EULA states that you are obligated to pay for the specified license count within 90 days of usage. Evaluation license comes with the controller and cannot be deleted. Once you add permanent licenses, evaluation license status will simply change to "inactive".

Cheers,

As per i know what happends once the License expired (never took this bullet - because we work high availability environment)

Technically :

WLC will display out-of-compliance notifications and send out syslog messages

Once your evaluation license expire you will need to set your base-ap-count license to high priority otherwise none of your AP’s will join the WLC.

Once expired it will fall back to base license which give you the ability to manage 5 AP's

BB

Hi  balaji.bandi 

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Where did you get this information from regarding base license? I have no base license installed and didn't think the 5520's come with permanent AP licenses.

I have 281 x 3502 AP's currently attached to my 5520 WLC's, so are suggesting I need to purchase 281 AP licenses for the 5520's to continue to work/function?      

Then you need to add QTY -  LIC-CT5520-1A  X

BB

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card