cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 802.11n Outdoor Access Point

amenlabiadh
Level 1
Level 1

I have to propose to a client a 802.11n outdoor Acess point with external antenna, tha gain must be >8 dbi.

Which cisco model should i use ?

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should use either a 1260 or a 3500e that has external antenna connection. The antenna is really up to you. There are different gains for the 2.4 and the 5ghz you can buy. You will just need to make sure what you use is legal in your country.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for your answer, But the models you mentioned aren't they for industrial indoor envirenment ?
I mean can I use them outdoor without a NEMA enclosure ?

You must look at the min and max for external temperature for the AP's. In Chicago it gets really cold and really hot and humid and that is why we placed the AP's in closets that had air and heat. The only 802.11n true outdoor AP is the 1552 mesh AP which you can use.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have to propose to a client a 802.11n outdoor Acess point with external antenna, tha gain must be >8 dbi.

DO NOT, under any circumstances, use 1260 or 3500e if you plan to use antennas > 6 dBi.  These two models DO NOT SUPPORT antenna gain higher than 6 dBi.  The only two 802.11n-capable WAP that can support high-gain antenna of > 6 dBi are the 1250 and the 3500p.

Antenna Product Portfolio for Cisco Aironet 802.11n Access Points

The 1250 is End-of-Sale (End-of-Sale Date:  12 January 2012) and requires 20.0w of PoE.  The 1250 can support antenna gain > 6 dBi.

The 3500p was released around mid-2011 because people were howling/screaming about the lack of high-gain antenna support, thus the 3500p was developed alongside the AIR-ANT25137NP-R.

Cisco recommends that the installation of the AIR-ANT25137NP-R should be done with proper sight-survey.

[Sorry Scott.  Didn't want to be rude.  ]

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your not being rude. I never knew antenna gain had a limit. I knew that Cisco stated certain max gains, but that is because of country regulations.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

I never knew antenna gain had a limit. I knew that Cisco stated certain max gains, but that is because of country regulations.

Me either until someone pointed this PDF file to me.  Funny that this PDF file does not have a corresponding webpage.

I didn't know that either, unfortunatly we can't use 1552AP neither 3500p due to regulatory constraints in our country.
And i need an omni-directional antenna. Is it possible tu use the 1250 AP with the AIR-ANT24120 Antenna ?

Yes and no.

Yes it might fit and you might get it to work ...

No, not unless you intend to use your antenna as a point-to-point or point-to-multipoint wireless bridge.

What exactly is your design so we can understand what you are trying to accomplish.

-Scott

Our client is a national museum/library. they are going to deploy a WLAN solution that coverage the entire structure.

For the outdoor hotspots they are asking for 802.11n access points with 2.4 Ghz omni-directional antenna with a gain higher than 8dbi.

Well are they requesting a high gain because they believe they can get more coverage? Not a good idea especially since you are creating a hotspot for users. As a consultant, you need to let the customer know what will work and what will not work. The issue will be one way conversation. With such a high gain, user devices will her the AP but since the user devices gain isn't that high, the traffic will never reach the AP.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card