Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8500 and SFPs

janesh_abey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Does the 8500 support any SMOF SFPs? data sheet only talks about a MM based SFP.

Thanks

J

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nope.  Only short-haul, MM.

thanks Leo for the confirmation

SP grade and only support MM? hmmmm...that is so disheartening.

lets see whether we get some input or roadmap info from the cisco ppl. (it hardly happens!!)

MM because it doesn't make sense.

Think about it, the vWLC is a switch.  So you connect it to a site ... and then what?  How does it talk back to the network.  On a SMF?  Not a pretty good idea.

Don't get carried away with vWLC as  we are not talking about vWLC here. :-)

We are talking about 8500.

I have presented a case where SMOF comes handy in another thread  which you have also  contributed :-)

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3864642#3864642

Hmmmm ... I may have gotten my facts wrong.

LH is supported. 

Hi Leo,

could you kindly point me to the url where it states that LH is supported on 8500?

Thanks in advance.

J

Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) options (only Cisco SFPs supported): SFP-10G-SR

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps6302/ps8322/ps12722/data_sheet_c78-713207.html

Hi Saravan,

As Leo pointed out in his post, what is the LH Cisco is referring to in the Datasheet?

there is LH listed under wired/switching/routing section.

Thanks,

Janesh

could you kindly point me to the url where it states that LH is supported on 8500?

Cisco 8500 Series Wireless Controller Data Sheet and look under Table 2 under the heading "Wired/Switching/Routing".

thanks leo.I will get this info confirmed with Cisco -to be on  the safe side.

Unless your a service provider, I don't think you will be able to purchase the 8500.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

are u sure about that Scott?

I find it bit strange as the 8500 is geared towards SP or High-end enterprise environment.

In this case I'm dealing with the latter.

Well you will need to speak with your Cisco SE about that. As far as I know, it's only available to service providers.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott, spoke to the PM,

8500 is positioned primarily for Service providers and large campus due to its features and scale. It is not and cannot be restricted only to SPs. As long as you can validate the fit with customer's feature needs and deployment architecture.

See positioning and feature comparison of the controllers here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/products_category_buyers_guide.html#~controllers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card