Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8510 WLC

netops2014
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We manage a large campus Wireless network and I have a query about IP addressing on our WLCs.

We have two Cisco 8510 WLCs (running in HA, Software 7.6.130.0). We have approx 1500 Access Points.

On a daily basis we have 16,000 users who are currently using an open SSID (no authentication) and are getting internet routable addresses from the off.

With the numbers of BYOD increasing we are being put under pressure for internet Routable IP addresses.

We can see that there are a large amount of devices (smart phones etc) taking IP addresses despite not being in use (eg. sitting in someones pocket).

We have been looking briefly at Web Passthrough but I had the following the following questions i was hoping someone could answer:

Is there a way to maybe assign/give devices RFC addresses and then be redirected to a web pass through scenario.

Once they click "connect" on the Web page, they can then be assigned an internet routable address?

Thanks

Wireless Net-Ops.

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That wouldn't work. The device needs an IP address to get to the portal page and then the WLC would need to deauth the device and then how would the device be placed on the proper vlan?  This is an issue one of my larger clients have whom has facilities in downtown Chicago. Devices are joining the open SSID and obtaining an IP address. So the more buildings they bring up, the more clients they see connecting or at least obtaining an IP address. The fix was to create a large /16 in various areas where there are no roaming between the facilities.  This was the only real way that we could handle this, but the users are not getting a public address.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card