cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9130AXE - how to configure Multiple BSSID?

shlomoi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I'm trying to configure Multi BSSID with my Cisco 9130AXE but with no success. It does seem that the feature is supported and configurable but I no success activating it.

Can you please supply detailed information on how to turn MBSSID on?

Thank you!

10 Replies 10

Basic service set identifiers (BSSID) is used to describe sections of a wireless local area network or WLAN.

According to what you mean, can I understand that multiple SSIDs need to be configured?

Catalyst9130 AP can run EWC mode, which is like Mobility Express. You can config the multi SSID refer to the doc, it's a very nice guide for EWC.

Cisco Embedded Wireless Controller on Catalyst Access Points

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !

Hi,

I'm referring to Multiple BSSID which is part of 11AX new features. 

I can see the configuration here:

b6f0e0f7-0065-4c63-ba23-eda6b665a986(1).PNG

But after enabling it, each SSID transmit it's own beacon. Therefore I still think there is something I am missing in the configuration.

Can you please share some details on how to configure 11AX Multiple BSSID? Is this feature fully supported? Maybe a firmware version update is require? 

Thank You!

The Multiple BSSID element collapses information for multiple BSSIDs (= SSIDs) into one single beacon frame
If not otherwise needed, this avoids sending the same information elements (e.g. EDCA parameter set etc.) several times

But in the configuration document, only the following configuration. And it seems that the configuration is turned on by default, and no more clear instructions have been found.

Procedure

Step 1

Choose Configuration > Radio Configurations > High Throughput.

Step 2

Click the 5 GHz Band tab.

1. Expand the 11ax section.

2. Select the Enable 11ax and Multiple Bssid check boxes, if required.

3. Check either the Select All check box to configure all the data rates or select the desired options from the available data rates list.

Step 3

Click the 2.4 GHz Band tab.

1. Expand the 11ax section.

2. Select the Enable 11ax and Multiple Bssid check boxes, if required.

3. Check either the Select All check box to configure all the data rates or select the desired options from the available data rates list.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !

Hi,

Yes, that's exactly what I did. All the above was enabled. Also enabled couple of WLANs (different SSID , BSSIDs...). And there were no Multiple BSSID. Each BSSID transmitted it's own beacon.

This would break support for 802.11ac/n/g/b/a. Do you really want that?

If yes, is your sniffer actually capable of also sniffing those new ones? 

And lastly, I'm not sure if that function would disable the old beacons and replace it with the new beacon, or if starts to send out an additional beacon with all the BSSIDs included for compatibility reasons with the old chipsets. 

Hi

This does not break 11ac,b,g,n,a...

Are you familiar with the BSSID feature? it is a new feature mandatory in 11ax.

No not really familiar with Multi-BSSID it yet. But the few lines I read sounded like breaking the old standards (if you remove those Beacons, those clients can't anymore connect).
Found this document: https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/15/11-15-1014-00-00ax-multiple-bssid-element.pptx
If I understand it correct, it's basically 802.11v-2011, which as far as I know is already supported on the WLC since many years. I also have that enabled since years with no problems in my BYOD environment. Though, by looking at the options on my WLC 8.10, nothing sounds like Multiple-BSSID of the 802.11v features.

Does anyone from Cisco knows how to configure this feature?

It doesn't seem to be working when enabling it in the GUI

Cisco is not very active in this forum, it's better if you open a TAC for this.

shlomoi
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you!

I will try to do that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card