Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9800-cl ap can join 9800-80 wlc without reboot

Hi Team,

Cisco 9800-cl ap can join 9800-80 wlc without reboot or download ap image?

Let's take example, we have n+1 setup with 9800-80 wlc as active and 9800-cl as standby and both have image 17.9.4a

Please suggest 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

9800-CL on "private cloud" (ESX, KVM) does actually support central switching but throughput is limited by CPU capacity and the network cards used.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-cl-wireless-controller-cloud/nb-06-cat9800-cl-cloud-wirel-data-sheet-ctp-en.html#Productoverview
●     Supports up to 2.1 Gbps of throughput in a centralized wireless deployment (low-throughput profile without SR-IOV)
●     With a high (enhanced) throughput profile, up to 5 Gbps can be reached on ESXi and KVM with the right set of network cards and resources (SR-IOV-enabled NIC card)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If the controllers are using the same software version then the AP will not need a reboot , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

So ap from virtual controller can join physical controller without reboot if wlc image are same ?

Can you also help with one more query? What are the differences in features of 9800-cl and 9800-80 model

>...What are the differences in features of 9800-cl and 9800-80 model
  - Basically the physical controller has higher throughput ; for cloud deployments  , 9800-cl can only offer flexconnect :
            https://www.wdn.com.np/storage/product/Cisco/9800%20serie_1565943738.pdf

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

9800-CL on "private cloud" (ESX, KVM) does actually support central switching but throughput is limited by CPU capacity and the network cards used.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-cl-wireless-controller-cloud/nb-06-cat9800-cl-cloud-wirel-data-sheet-ctp-en.html#Productoverview
●     Supports up to 2.1 Gbps of throughput in a centralized wireless deployment (low-throughput profile without SR-IOV)
●     With a high (enhanced) throughput profile, up to 5 Gbps can be reached on ESXi and KVM with the right set of network cards and resources (SR-IOV-enabled NIC card)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the WLCs have the identical firmware, SMU and APSP, the AP will not reboot when moving to another WLC. 

If both WLCs are in the same Mobility Group, the wireless clients will not be able to observe any drop in connectivity. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card