cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9800 Controllers

bilesnaun85
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone taken the leap and deployed 9800 controllers yet? We have a few small branch 2504's out there that need replacement and are making the decision between the 3504 and 9800L's. I was burned a few years ago on the 5760 platform/controller on a switch, was honestly surprised that Cisco went back down the road of the IOS based controller again. Cisco hasn't been able to come up with any real reference customers for the 9800's. I'd rather go with Aruba, but due to other decisions made and past company issues with Aruba wireless it isn't an option right now, and while I love what Ruckus does in the space, I can't trust Brocade/Ruckus/Arris/Commscope with all the uncertainty. Environment includes some mesh and P2P backhaul with 1562's outside and then primarily 2800's inside. No initiative to look at Wave 6 right now. Biggest concern in the potential EOL on the AireOS platform, the 3504's have only been shipping for 2 years, but don't want to buy something then turn around and have it EOL'd shortly thereafter, but also not convinced or sold on the IOS controller platform. What is everyone else doing with Cisco wireless?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depending on how complex your SSID is but Mobility Express is a simple deployment of up to 100 APs. 

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I will get my first 9800 series in coming days.

Still I would recommend you to go with 9800 series instead of 3504  because:

9800 wlc support all features as 3504 and these are additional: 

1. 3504 is already EoS

2. High availability and seamless software updates, enabled by hot and cold patching, keep your clients and services always on during both planned and unplanned events.

3. It allows for an increase in access point, client and throughput support.

4. 9800 supports the latest Wi-Fi standard, Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) but is also backwards compliant, supporting Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac Wave 1 and Wave 2) devices.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have been using the 9800-L, 9800-CL and EWC in my home for around 6 months. I also have these in my lab at work and this year I will be transitioning majority of sites running 5508’s to 9800-CL utilizing FlexConnect. Like what others have mentioned, the AireOS EOS has been set. It’s up to you to look at how long the 3504 for example will be before end of support, because that is when you want to transition away.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I had some concern over 9800 readiness but have overseen deployments recently and not had issues beyond any typical rollout. Choose your software carefully based on the recommendations below. I prefer 16.12.x atm but will be looking to transition to a 17.3.x in the near future (some COS AP bugs I'm currently wary of) for longevity.

TAC Recommended IOS-XE Builds 

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card