Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AIR-CT5520-K9 - AP Licensing

BBNG
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

I'm the process of ordering new Wireless Controllers and got confused about how the AP license on the WLC 5520 works.

The part number is AIR-CT5520-K9, with only this part number, can I have a certain number of AP already licensed?

Or in my order I will need the LIC-CT5520-UPG that will allow me to fill the exact quantity of my AP under Part number LIC-CT5520-1A.

I know there is a 50 AP bundle but for whatever reason that does not seem available to order.

Thanks!

Regards. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

if ur AP’s are already licensed move those licenses to your smart account and let the controller sync with you Cisco smart account. Or use the UPG and order the exact number of licenses required.

While I agree that AireOS platforms are one of the most stable products which came out from Cisco, complete aireos product line has been announced eos and EOL. Why you want to invest on something which will be EOL in another 6 years? Go for the new Catalyst AP’s and WLC, you can get the virtual machine form factor completely free. Given the correct resources are allocated to the VM you can easily match the 5520 performance. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

if ur AP’s are already licensed move those licenses to your smart account and let the controller sync with you Cisco smart account. Or use the UPG and order the exact number of licenses required.

While I agree that AireOS platforms are one of the most stable products which came out from Cisco, complete aireos product line has been announced eos and EOL. Why you want to invest on something which will be EOL in another 6 years? Go for the new Catalyst AP’s and WLC, you can get the virtual machine form factor completely free. Given the correct resources are allocated to the VM you can easily match the 5520 performance. 

Hello Arshadsaf,

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware the 5520 has its EOS announced, this is going as a Plan B for a 9800-40.

I know the 9800 is the way to go but the price difference is quite a lot so I need options.

The "free" cloud version is promising and could work well for my need.

Thank you!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@BBNG wrote:

I'm the process of ordering new Wireless Controllers

Stop!

Before ordering, have a read of this:  End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco 5520 Wireless controller

5520 has less than one year left before EoS.  The last firmware, 8.10.162.0, for this particular model was just released last week.  No more planned software releases.  

5520 can support a maximum of 1000 APs.  The replacement for the 5520 (and can support 2000 APs) is the Catalyst 9800-40.

Hi Leo,

I understand what you are saying, but like I expressed above, this is like a Plan B because the price of a 9800-40 + AIR-DNA is not really comparable. This is going to be a small deployment.

I 100% understand 9800 is the way to go, I might end up using the Cloud version or maybe read some more on the 9800-L if that would work for this project.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card