Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco aironet 1240ag

goransh_pc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a question regarding cisco aironet 1240ag AP.

1st - Does this devices has a firmware ? So I can update a firmware ? or is an image file for IOS software ?

2nd - Which wireless controller I can use to handle multiple aironet 1240ag AP's ?

3rd - The controller has the ability to create temporally guest password ?

Thank you so much for all your help.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1st - Does this devices has a firmware ? So I can update a firmware ? or is an image file for IOS software ?

Yes and no.  Yes, the appliance has an AP.  Yes you can update it but it will depend on whether or not the appliance should be running autonomous IOS or not.  If it's controller-based IOS then the WLC will update the firmware.

2nd - Which wireless controller I can use to handle multiple aironet 1240ag AP's ?

Any WLC can manage the 1240 but bear in mind that this model is end-of-sale and future firmware releases on the WLC will not be able to support this firmware in the very future.

3rd - The controller has the ability to create temporally guest password ?

Yes, as a Lobby Administrator

Hello leolaohoo,

Thank you so much for your quick response.

But I want explain a little bit more my escenario.

I have arround 10 AP's. All of those are 1240ag and working separete (No with a controller). ll has the same SSID and settings for roaming the same SSID.

Everything work perfect.

But I need, the feature to create temporary guest access to my wireless network. Just Internet access for a limit time.

I hear about the new cisco device 3850.

Can I use this device to control those AP's the 1240ag that I have already running ?

Or

I have to buy the WLC controller for those ? If is so, i have to upgrade firmware ? or as you said the controller will upgrade the firmaware to the AP's for me ?

Thank you so much.

3850 is a Layer 2/3 PoE switch with a WLC chip on top.

Yes, this will work.

If you just want to give your clients a a time-limit access to the internet using guess access, why don't you just create one in AD?

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

WLc can be used to upgade the software. Moreover, any WLC can control it and a Lobby administrator can be used to create guest user/ password.

If you just want to give your clients a a time-limit access to the internet using guess access, why don't you just create one in AD?

How I can do that ?

I have to control arround 10 AP's. So now every time that I want to change some configuration on the AP's I have to do it one by one.

With the controller I can change the configuration just one time and apply it to all my AP's right ?

And then on the controller set the "time-limit access" for guests ?

In active directory can I do it ?

I have to set up on the AP's one SSID for employees and other for guest ?

An then I have to block on the firewall all access coming from the guest wireless network to my servers and only permit going to internet ?

Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: