cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 700 series Access Point Slow wireless

Teach4Australia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello..really hope you can help as i am banging my head off a wall with this. I have setup a Cisco Aironet 700 series Access Point here in the office and am testing it (sitting next to the device) I am transferring from laptop (wireless) to server (wired) on our network and get about 2-3Mbps transfer speed both going to and receiving from the server. If i switch to a  wired connection this immediately jumps to a steady 90Mbps. This is so unbelievably slow and should be 10-20 times that. I have updated the firmware and am currently only using Radio1-802.11N5GHz with the attached settings. the gigabit ethernet connection settings are also attached.

Can someone please help......

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disable 802.11n.

hello Leo..thank you for your very quick reply to this post. however by disabling the connection it just removed the wireless link entirely. Can you go into further detail for what you mean there is no disable 802.11n function just disable radio.

Thank you in advance

there is no disable 802.11n function just disable radio.

On the 5.0 Ghz radio, instead of using 40 Mhz Channel Width, use 20 Mhz Channel Width.

Hi Leo. I have made the change from 40mhz to 20mhz channel width but unfortunately the transfer speed to and from the server is still around 2.5-2.7Mbps. Any other thoughts?

What is the model of the wireless network card and what version is the driver?

the model of the card is Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205 the driver version is 15.16.0.2 from the 6/01/2015. This connection has been tested on two other devices with the same result (unfortunately i do not have access to them now to get model numbers etc) Thanks

the model of the card is Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205 the driver version is 15.16.0.2 from the 6/01/2015. 

Funny that.  

I just helped a colleague sort out an issue with the same Intel 6205 and the answer was to upgrade the firmware, however, the firmware package upgraded 18.X.

You are absolutely correct there is a more recent one...I have updated to the latest firmware, restarted and retested but unfortunately have the same transfer speeds as before.

Is the card running on 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz?

I have had it run at both....and 20mhz and 40mhz on 5ghz currently it is at 20mhz on 5ghz.

Try other clients, like tablets, smartphones, etc. 

See if you get the same slow speed.  Also, try getting SPEEDTEST.

Maybe you should change the encryption from WPA/TKIP to WPA2/AES.

dot11 ssid Adknowledgeasia

authentication key-management wpa version 2

interface Dot11Radio0

encryption vlan 1 mode ciphers aes-ccm

check these posts to configure autonomous AP.

https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/05/24/single-ssid-configuration-on-autonomous-ap/

https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/05/24/multiple-ssid-configurations-on-autonomous-ap/

jkilleda
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Peter,
Cisco Aironet 700 series Access Point Slow wireless

Avoid the configuration of loopback interfaces on APs and bridges. The reason is that a loopback interface configuration can generate an Inter-AP Protocol General Information (IAPP GENINFO) storm on your network, which can result in high CPU utilization on the AP. This can slow down the performance of the AP drastically and, in some cases, disrupt network traffic completely. The configuration of loopback interfaces on APs or bridges can also cause memory allocation failures

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: