Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet ap1141n-e-k9 help configuration

redfinger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i have just got a brand new aironet access point belonging to 1140 series (1141n-e-k9), it has been a while since i worked last time with cisco devices and i really need few help to configure this AP. (also useful link is appreciated)

I've an existing (wired) network with a dhcp server that provides IPs for the following class: 192.168.1.0/24 (default gw 192.168.1.254)

I would like to configure this new AP with ip 192.168.1.253 on gigabit ethernet while radio interface would have ip 192.168.2.1 and act as a dhcp server for following class: 192.168.2.0/24

Maybe it could be configured in another way but it's important for me to have client connected to ap in a subnet (i.e. 192.168.2.0/24) different from existing one (192.168.1.0/24), is it possible?

I read the manual with the title: "Cisco IOS Software Configuration Guide for Cisco Aironet Access Points" but i really can't figure out how to accomplish this simple(i guess) task.

Any help (links,tips or tricks) would be really appreciated (since my brain is about to blow up )

TIA,

Antonio

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can do that, just need to be able to trunk the switchport the ap is connected to. Here I a link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080665ceb.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

No you can't. If you require more than one vlan, then you need to be able to trunk a port. The AP will not switch/bridge the since it doesn't perform those actions. So you need to first find out if the switch is a managed switch or not managed before you can determine if you can have more than one vlans. If it is a managed switch and you can trunk the port, then you would have to configure that subnet on the network if not there already.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can do that, just need to be able to trunk the switchport the ap is connected to. Here I a link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080665ceb.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Hi Scott,

thanks for your answer and for links you provided , however i have a problem with that.

is it possible to find a solution for this problem internally to the AP? (sorry if my question would sound stupid)

atm i can't "put my hands" on the device the ap is connected to (it's a customer's requirement, unfortunately) and i don't know either if the switch would be a cisco device, is there a solution (maybe without vlan) to solve my problem?

since ap has an gigabitethernet interface and a radio one, couldn't i setup an ip belonging to class 192.168.1.0 to ethernet and an ip belonging to class 192.168.2.0 to radio dot11 and setup a bridge between this two interfaces?

thanks for your answer and your time,

Antonio

No you can't. If you require more than one vlan, then you need to be able to trunk a port. The AP will not switch/bridge the since it doesn't perform those actions. So you need to first find out if the switch is a managed switch or not managed before you can determine if you can have more than one vlans. If it is a managed switch and you can trunk the port, then you would have to configure that subnet on the network if not there already.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Really thanks for your help Scott, probably i was looking at the problem from the wrong point of view.

Antonio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card