Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP on 4m height

jonatanok
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to buy and setup a new Cisco AP (Cisco Aironet AIR-CAP2602I-E-K9 Controller Based) and it should/need to be placed on 4 meters height in an office. There are no other place to place it.

Will there be any problems with this 4m height? Should I configure the AP in some specific way to get it working better, or should I buy another AP to get it working better on 4m height? 

Kind regards Jonatan Karlsson

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That should be fine.  Just make sure you use the right antenna.  

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

Yes, okey. But what should be the right antenna? Because if I'm not wrong, that model got internal antennas. Is it better to use an AP with external antennas in this case? and what will be as good as "Cisco Aironet AIR-CAP2602I-E-K9 Controller Based", but with external antennas? 

/Jonatan Karlsson

Your right... I was looking at the "E".  You will be fine.

-Scott 

-Scott

FWIW, there are L-brackets to be had that let you mount the APs the "right" way on a wall, if you want to get the prescribed ceiling-style orientation. But I have hundreds of APs that went on walls out of necessity, and as long as you do everything else right there really is no concern. The antenna pattern won't be perfect, but WLAN is pretty forgiving. 

emily00001
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe it's not a concern for you but is the ceiling at 4 meters and below clear? Having a lot of stuff like vents can be a bother and block signals and create reflections. I'm in the process of drop mounting some APs in areas where the ceiling is super crowded with building infrastructure, vents, lights, etc.

yasib ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

There will be absolutely no problem if you place that AP in 4m height. Because i have deployed many AP more than your height and its working perfectly.

Only one thing you need to be consider, when you place that AP in 4m height make sure that no any other Power source like light or Fan or electric meter  near by it. Because electric field reduce your signal strength.

***Please mark the correct post***

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card