Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP "Bridge"

Heinz
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day,

Have a Mikrotik Bridge (AP) connected to the client's WLC. (Static Bridge IP & PSK Configured On Mikrotik)

Printer connects via Ethernet to Bridge (Static IP on Printer)

Looking to replace the Mikrotik's with Cisco equivalent(s)

Asking for Cisco AP "bridge" recommendations

Thanks & Regards   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It sounds like what you want is a Work Group Bridge (WGB).

That was fairly easy to do with the IOS APs, with COS APs it got (in my opinion) a little more problematic, but they do support it.

Here is a Cisco guide for the WGB's : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/workgroup-bridges.html

So regarding recommendation, well it really depends on your needs, because you are using normal APs for it, you could use APs with external antennas, and attach antennas according to your needs and RF enviroment.

But mostly, I see customers and sites use the 1800 series with internal antennas for this purpose.

I have no idea if it is supported on 9100 APs yet, but that sweet little 9105 would fit in a lot of deployments like this

Only problem in these scenarios (that I have experienced) is "passive clients" behind the WGB, that can be a bit troublesome

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Heinz wrote:

Asking for Cisco AP "bridge" recommendations

Depends on what the bridge is going to be do/doing.

Good Day,
This bridge needs to connect to a pre-configured PSK SSID configured on the WLC, and then a printer needs to connect to the Cisco bridge in order for the users to print.

What is the distance between the two?

Is there a line of sight?

Are there any obstruction in the way?

By distance between printer and bridge - standard ether fly lead length 3meters & bridge and existing Access Point - this is indoors so 5 to 15 meters max?
No obstructions

It sounds like what you want is a Work Group Bridge (WGB).

That was fairly easy to do with the IOS APs, with COS APs it got (in my opinion) a little more problematic, but they do support it.

Here is a Cisco guide for the WGB's : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/workgroup-bridges.html

So regarding recommendation, well it really depends on your needs, because you are using normal APs for it, you could use APs with external antennas, and attach antennas according to your needs and RF enviroment.

But mostly, I see customers and sites use the 1800 series with internal antennas for this purpose.

I have no idea if it is supported on 9100 APs yet, but that sweet little 9105 would fit in a lot of deployments like this

Only problem in these scenarios (that I have experienced) is "passive clients" behind the WGB, that can be a bit troublesome

WGB for an indoor distance of 15 metres?  Wow.  That is going to be wild.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card