Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco DNA Spaces

Jay233
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

What do I actually need for client location on site?

I have Cisco DNA-C, 9800 WLC old legacy PI.

Looking at the doc it suggests that I need an on prem for client location, is this correct? What do I get location wise with a 9800 and DNA-C?

The DNA Spaces site connector documentation I have found doesn't detail how this would work with DNA-C or the WLC, has anyone installed DNA-Spaces with either 9800's or DNA-C that could experience.

Cheers

9 Replies 9

Jay233
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry on prem CMX

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Jay233 wrote:

What do I actually need for client location on site?

What level of accuracy are you looking for?  

Per square metre/feet?  
Per room? 

Per floor? 

Per building?

Hi Leo,

Not sure but you guys only sanction upto 10m using DNA-Spaces I think.

The main question really is I assumed CMX was dead and transitioning over to Spaces.

For an accurate solution (upto 10m) E.G. a hospital or school what kit do I need specifically for Spaces, and also what licence do I need? See, Act or extend? Assume ACT for location services and asset tracking. 

Cheers, 

@Jay233 wrote:

Not sure but you guys only sanction upto 10m using DNA-Spaces I think.

MSE/CMX or DNA-Spaces is only one part of the equation. 

Think about it:  What is the use of, say, room-level accuracy if the entire area is only "serviced" by one AP.  

Before jumping into "location tracking", it must first be determined "how accurate" is required.  Next, how "dense" are the APs deployed (were the AP placement designed specifically for "location tracking" or less).  If the AP placement were not designed for location tracking then there is no guarantee MSE/CMX or DNA-Spaces will be of any help.

Only when the two main questions are answered do we go down to the funky stuff like MSE/CMX or DNA-Spaces.  

@Jay233 wrote:

For an accurate solution (upto 10m) E.G. a hospital or school what kit do I need specifically for Spaces

Ok, now you are going somewhere. 

First off, you need a place to "store" the maps.  This is the job of Prime Infrastructure &/or DNA Centre.  MSE/CMX or DNA-Spaces do the "grunt work" of calculating the location in, supposedly, three dimensions.  

... Wait, 10 sq metres?  Uhhhh ... I am regularly asked "where did I leave my <wireless clients>" and I never used MSE/CMX or DNA-Spaces.  Because the deployment of our AP is very dense, as in an AP in every classroom, we regularly (think, weekly) find it just by triangulating the RSSI of the wireless client.  

Thanks Leo,

Understand on the AP requirements bit. Just need to clarify the CMX stuff.

Deploy minimum of 4 APs per floor
• One AP around client in each quadrant
• -75 dBm Client RSSI on 3 APs
• Create a convex hull around location area 

Do you have any links to Spaces connector, HA config, specs etc

So if I had 3 sites with 6 9800's (2 per site SSO) and 2500 AP's can the HA connector be located in different sites?

Cheers,

@Jay233 wrote:

Just need to clarify the CMX stuff. 

Talk to your Cisco AM/SE/Wireless PSS because they need to do some work before you get handed access to DNA Spaces.  

IF you have CMX, then good this means the maps are ready to go.  

Yes, DNA Spaces will replace MSE/CMX.

Hi Leo,

No CMX availability that was the whole point of the initial question. maps will be imported into DNAC the AP's placed on maps as per RF survey. 

How does DNAC/WLC connect to Spaces? Do they both connect using the Spaces connector? Having DNAC do all the location calculations does this alter performance of DNAC? Do you need to install a cluster or would one DNAC controller be adequate? 

Cheers,  

@Jay233 wrote:

Having DNAC do all the location calculations does this alter performance of DNAC?

Whao.  DNA Centre appliance and DNA Spaces are two different things. DNA Spaces is "cloud" based (AWS).  

DNA Spaces "pulls" the maps out of PI/DNA Centre and uses API calls to the WLC to pull RSSI details from the AP. 

DNA Spaces then calculate where it "thinks" the client is located.  

Leo is correct,

A few other notes, the best and recommended way to deploy DNA Spaces (DNAS) is to use DNAS Connector which is free VM, you can deploy the DNAS Connectors as in HA so APs and WLCs will be communicate to them at the same time and the DNAS Connectors will be communicate all this info to the DNA Spaces cloud so you can see the results in different widgets, in your case “Detect and Locate”.

DNA Center (DNAC) and Prime Infrastructure (PI) are used to upload the Maps to DNAS cloud. If you use PI then you have to manually do it and every time you change something in the map you need to upload the maps again while if you use DNAC “starting from 2.1.2.3” then the maps sync will be done automatically “you need to configure that prior”.

So there is no direct communication between DNAC/PI and DNAS Connector while there is direct communication between the WLCs and APs to the DNAS Connectors and then from DNAS Connector to DNAS Cloud.

Cisco is offering free demo, design discussion and many other free consultation if any customer decide to deploy DNA Spaces, connect with Cisco Sales, they will be happy to arrange that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card