Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco linktest question

hi all.

I have a question whether I understand correctly that when using the linktest command on the controller, l2 packets are exchanged between the access point and the client. The IP is not used in this case? Or is it a simple ICMP ping?

Thanks.

6 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

It is layer 3, the WLC will source the request from the interface of that WLAN or I guess its management interface if the client is connected via FlexConnect. The AP->Client comms is layer 2 but that's like all traffic.

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

View solution in original post

but then it's a ping WLC to the client. And the losses may not be in the radio. I thought only the radiolink was being tested. Like RF-ping.

Yep correct, that's the way it is without some sort of client-side support like CCX extensions that can share further information with the AP but the WLC feature is just a simple ICMP tool.

If you were to try and initiate a layer 2 'ping' to a wireless client, what frame would you send that it can respond to in the affirmative without requiring some extra knowledge of how to do so? The AP could monitor for an ACK of any kind potentially I guess...

More food for thought, what if this were 2 L2 clients attached to the same switch. How would one client communicate with another directly and expect a response without there being an application that were monitoring specifically for it. I'm thought rambling a bit here as it has got me thinking a bit about it!

Cheers,

Ric

Thanks Ric.

Indeed, as I myself did not guess. Of course, you can't do this without client support. But then I would be satisfied with a ping from the AP radio interface to the client to exclude the wired network segment.

As I understand it in WLC ping goes from the controller interface through the CAPWAP to the AP and then to the client. Is this correct?

Yep it has to unless the site is FlexConnect with local switching, in that case the ping will be outside of the CAPWAP tunnel as it is switched at the AP port.

6 Replies 6

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

It is layer 3, the WLC will source the request from the interface of that WLAN or I guess its management interface if the client is connected via FlexConnect. The AP->Client comms is layer 2 but that's like all traffic.

Ric

but then it's a ping WLC to the client. And the losses may not be in the radio. I thought only the radiolink was being tested. Like RF-ping.

Yep correct, that's the way it is without some sort of client-side support like CCX extensions that can share further information with the AP but the WLC feature is just a simple ICMP tool.

If you were to try and initiate a layer 2 'ping' to a wireless client, what frame would you send that it can respond to in the affirmative without requiring some extra knowledge of how to do so? The AP could monitor for an ACK of any kind potentially I guess...

More food for thought, what if this were 2 L2 clients attached to the same switch. How would one client communicate with another directly and expect a response without there being an application that were monitoring specifically for it. I'm thought rambling a bit here as it has got me thinking a bit about it!

Cheers,

Ric

Thanks Ric.

Indeed, as I myself did not guess. Of course, you can't do this without client support. But then I would be satisfied with a ping from the AP radio interface to the client to exclude the wired network segment.

As I understand it in WLC ping goes from the controller interface through the CAPWAP to the AP and then to the client. Is this correct?

Yep it has to unless the site is FlexConnect with local switching, in that case the ping will be outside of the CAPWAP tunnel as it is switched at the AP port.

Thank You, Ric.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card