Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco location solution, requirements and extent

aa.cc
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings

We're developing a TAG and have a few questions regarding your solution for locating devices.

1st. We understand that the infrastructure requirements include Aironet 4800 Access Point (hardware), Cisco DNA Spaces (the software), Cisco Connected Mobile Experiences CMX Location Engine (Part of DNA spaces) and CMX SDK. Can the Software DNA Spaces be run on any machine? What does the CMX SDK does?

2nd. Can any generic device with the hability to conect to the Wifi be a client and his location be tracked? If not. What are the requirements the client must fulfill so it can be tracked?

3rd Is there some developing enviroment to test the tags without having to purchase DNA Spaces?

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you want Hyperlocation, then any AP that will support HALO will do: 4800 or 3700 with HALO
Next, you'll need Prime Infrastructure, CMX or DNA Spaces.
Like I said, if you're in DevNet, this forum is not adequate to answer your questions. There are subject matters expert (SME) in the DevNet world that have more information than what I know.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How does the tag communicate? WiFi or BLE?
If WiFi, you'll need PI and CMX at a minimum.
If BLE, you'll need PI, CMX/DNA Spaces and an account for CMX Web.
For CMX web, contact your Cisco AM/SE so they can organize an account for you.

NOTE:  

Let us know how you go with your tag.  I am looking/interested.

Greetings Leo:

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

How does the tag communicate? WiFi or BLE?

We want the TAG to have both technologies integrated.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

If WiFi, you'll need PI and CMX at a minimum.
If BLE, you'll need PI, CMX/DNA Spaces and an account for CMX Web.

Thanks for clarifying to me the software required to set up the location tracking. If I recall correctly, CMX is integrated within Cisco DNA Spaces. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm currently using a sandbox in Cisco's devnet, to learn more about DNA Spaces, I want to learn how to manage telemetry inside DNA Spaces. Where can I learn more about telemetry in DNA Spaces?. Regarding hardware, I need to know if any generic device can scan the availiable Wifi Access Points and be tracked, or if there is a special hardware requirement for the TAG, aside from Wifi and BLE, both of wich we are already working on.

Regards.

If you are in Cisco's DevNet environment then there will be an army of Cisco subject matter experts that are happy (and eager) to provide assistance.

Greetings Leo:

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
If you are in Cisco's DevNet environment then there will be an army of Cisco subject matter experts that are happy (and eager) to provide assistance.

Thanks, thats great. I want to set up a simple Hyperlocation system here at our lab, what hardware requirements do I have to meet? Meaning. Is it necesary to use Aironet 4800 AP? Do I need a cisco router? And if it is so, what router? In what machine can I install DNA Spaces?

Regards.

If you want Hyperlocation, then any AP that will support HALO will do: 4800 or 3700 with HALO
Next, you'll need Prime Infrastructure, CMX or DNA Spaces.
Like I said, if you're in DevNet, this forum is not adequate to answer your questions. There are subject matters expert (SME) in the DevNet world that have more information than what I know.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card