Helpful
Replies

Cisco Meraki

James Simpson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

As a company we are looking at getting Meraki

1/ I was thrown by the fact that Meraki, have their own switch models, are Meraki AP's compatible with any Cisco switch that supports POE ?

2/ I know the management traffic only goes via the Cisco cloud, so if I implemented them for a radius authentication model against AD, I should have any issues doing so, if I implement these ?

Many thanks

J  

5 Replies 5

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

James,

The Meraki Aps will work with Cisco switches.  Yes Meraki does support radius authentication, it even work with Cisco ISE..

I've tested the Meraki APs in the past, the cloud based setup is really easy, but in an enterprise environment I'm not a fan..  you can't go wrong with a Cisco Wireless LAN Controller and Cisco APs

I hope this helps

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add, I have Meraki aps on Cisco switches and Cisco AP's on Meraki switches.  There was an issue with Meraki AP's not negotiating properly with 3850's, but I think that is fixed.

Since Meraki AP's are configured in a trunk port, you can use local radius if you want as the radius traffic will be sent on the management vlan.

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

Hi Scott

Thanks for the response, so on my 2960x switches, If i configure the ports that the APs will be sitting on as trunks, and then under access control on the meraki box configured bridge mode and enabled vlan tagging, and then add my radius server PEAP MSCHAPv2, then on the windows server, I could set up the AP,s on the windows box, and then configure authentication via AD ?

The Meraki AP's will be connected to a trunk port and its best to place AP's in one subnet so that you can create one AAA client with the ip range. Then defining the SSID for radius and using an internal radius is all you need to do.

Here is a link to a doc that will help:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Encryption_and_Authentication/Configuring_RADIUS_Authentication_with_WPA2-Enterprise

-Scott 

-Scott

James Simpson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Thanks for the response, so on my 2960x switches, If i configure the ports that the APs will be sitting on as trunks, and then under access control on the meraki box configured bridge mode and enabled vlan tagging, and then add my radius server PEAP MSCHAPv2, then on the windows server, I could set up the AP,s on the windows box, and then configure authentication via AD ?

Thanks all

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card