cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Mesh Infterface Modes

James Drake
Level 1
Level 1

On the WLC under Wireless > (select AP) > Mesh > Ethernet Bridging > (Interface Name), you can set the mode for the interface. (Normal, Access, or Trunk)

int mode.png

Can anyone explain exactly what "Normal" mode is? I can deduce Access and Trunk, but I'm having a hard time finding information about "Normal" mode.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Trying to simplify it, I can say it is close to this:
Trunk : multiple vlans can be configured. Usually used when a map is used as a bridge.
Access: one vlan can only be configured. Usually used when a device is connected to a map (camera for example).
Normal: no vlans tagging is allowed and the traffic is sent untagged.

Hope I simplified it :)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

James Drake
Level 1
Level 1

Never mind...I just found it here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_mesh.html#wp1857978

Normal mode—In this mode, the Ethernet port does not accept or send any tagged packets. Tagged frames from clients are dropped.

Use the normal mode in applications when only a single VLAN is in use or  there is no need to segment traffic in the network across multiple  VLANs.

Access  Mode—In this mode, only untagged packets are accepted. All incoming  packets are tagged with user-configured VLANs called access-VLANs.

Use the access mode for applications in which information is collected  from devices connected to the MAP, such as cameras or PCs, and then  forwarded to the RAP. The RAP then applies tags and forwards traffic to a  switch on the wired network.

Trunk  mode—This mode requires the user to configure a native VLAN and an  allowed VLAN list (no defaults). In this mode, both tagged and untagged  packets are accepted. Untagged packets are accepted and are tagged with  the user-specified native VLAN. Tagged packets are accepted if they are  tagged with a VLAN in the allowed VLAN list.

Use  the trunk mode for bridging applications such as forwarding traffic  between two MAPs that reside on separate buildings within a campus.

Ethernet VLAN tagging operates on Ethernet ports that are not used as backhauls.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Trying to simplify it, I can say it is close to this:
Trunk : multiple vlans can be configured. Usually used when a map is used as a bridge.
Access: one vlan can only be configured. Usually used when a device is connected to a map (camera for example).
Normal: no vlans tagging is allowed and the traffic is sent untagged.

Hope I simplified it :)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card