Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Mobility Express with Controller 5500

Hi

I'm install in my network one new AP 1562b, but due IOS of the controller I dont can install in controller, I gonna configuration it how autonomos (Mobility Express) but in documentation talk that Mobility can't work with other Controller.

"You must not have other Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers; neither appliance nor virtual in the same network during set up or during daily operation of a Cisco Mobility Express network. The Mobility Express controller cannot interoperate or co-exist with other Wireless LAN Controllers in the same network."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-5/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_5/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_5_chapter_01.pdf

I dont undestand, because the firmware is difference CAPWAP other Mobility Express.

Some problem if I include Cisco AP Moblity Express in network with one Controller 5500 series?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

this is about controller discovery within the same (V)LAN/network

because L2 broadcast is used, AP's might connect to the wrong controller.

I guess if you create a separate vlan for this AP and others that use this ME as controller, you can make it work within the vlan

if you use dhcp option 43 and/or dns-discovery  you need to configure this accordingly

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

pieterh
VIP
VIP

this is about controller discovery within the same (V)LAN/network

because L2 broadcast is used, AP's might connect to the wrong controller.

I guess if you create a separate vlan for this AP and others that use this ME as controller, you can make it work within the vlan

if you use dhcp option 43 and/or dns-discovery  you need to configure this accordingly

Hi pieterh 

Thank you for answer.

So, I need only create one new VLAN. I can't user option 43 because the 3 APs of this model I gonna configuration how Master (100% autonomous), or I require to set up one how Master and others how slave?

you can make it work with a separate vlan

you can use dhcp option-43 but it needs to be different than your default

in the scope for this vlan/subnet is needs to point to your ME

for the others the lightweight image will be sufficient, but ME also has a HA-setup you may use

Hi  pieterh

AP with lightweight  can register in master ME? 

yes ME works as if the ME-master has a controller integrated

Thank you my friend.

I believed that Mobility Express registerd only with Mobility Express.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card