Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO PRIME INFRASTRUCTURE APPLIANCE

Hello.

The ETHERNET 2 Port in the CISCO PRIME INFRASTRUCTURE  APPLIANCE. Is it in use??  

Can i connect my network in this port? O what is the purpose of ETHERNET 2 port?

Thank you!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I had a peer actually use it for out of band to be able to GUI and transfer files. The only catch was that he had to set the interface ip on a different subnet than the management.  Other than that, most of all the PI appliances we have used we only connect and set one interface. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Refer this post

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11856911/need-use-both-ports-prime-ncs-apl-k9

"When both NICs are used, one will be for reaching the GUI for access and the other for sending SNMP traffic over to the managed devices, but most folks use just one"

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

I had a peer actually use it for out of band to be able to GUI and transfer files. The only catch was that he had to set the interface ip on a different subnet than the management.  Other than that, most of all the PI appliances we have used we only connect and set one interface. 

-Scott

-Scott

Thanks Scott.

DID YOU MEAN THAT THIS PORT IS USING LIKE A SERVICE PORT IN A WLC?

DO YOU recommend the implementation of this appliance with one port ethernet?

Jorge,

It isn't like a service port.... my peer needed a work around because they had to backup the server and didn't have access to the network, so they used the second port to connect directly to a laptop.  I do recommend only using one port.

-Scott

-Scott

I get it! Thank you for you reply!!! I appreciate your help!!

Regards!

Thanks Rasika.

DO YOU recommend the implementation of this appliance with one port ethernet or use 2 ports?

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Adding to Rasika and Scott's correct replies, realize that the appliances are based on general purpose server platforms - the old one was IBM OEM and the new appliances are Cisco UCS-based. Those servers have a set of hardware components that are designed for general purpose requirements.

When Cisco builds the Linux and ADE-OS that runs on this general purpose hardware, they don't necessarily maximize the potential use of every bit of that underlying hardware.

Thank you Marvin for you reply!! That's a important data for me!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card