Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime reset APs not working

lazarmihail
Level 1
Level 1

Howdy

I have created a template in Cisco Prime to RESET the access points model type 1815W who are connected over FlexConnect but even that Cisco Prime output says that the access points have been rebooted, they are not actually rebooting and on the WLC 5520 I'm seeing that they haven't been restarted and still online since 110 days.

Any thoughts ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@patoberli @Scott Fella 

Opening a TAC helped at the end.

The issue was that the WLC was not having a write community defined and the write community was not set under Inventory / Credentials plus, to push a command to reset the AP is not enough to thick the option Reboot AP, you have to actually give a command to the AP like enable the led status on it or anything else.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Sounds like a bug between WLC and Prime.
Which Prime version are you running and which Patch and Device Pack? I think I recently read something like that in a release notes.

@patoberli 

The PI version is 3.4.0.0.348 without any patches installed. 

In that case I suggest to upgrade to Patch 2. There were several scheduler bugs fixed, besides various security leaks. Additionally I would install the device pack 11, although I don't specifically see any bug fixed there affecting you.

Thanks @patoberli 

Will give it a try and let you know how it goes. 

@patoberli 

I've applied the patches but no luck, the PI GUI shows the status Success(Rebooted) bun in fact the reboot / reload command was not sent. 

Below you have the patches that have been applied to the PI VM. 

Cisco Prime Infrastructure
Version : 3.4.0
Build : 3.4.0.0.348
Critical Fixes:
PI 3.4.2 Update 01 ( 1.0.0 )
PI 3.4.2 Maintenance Release ( 2.0.0 )
Device Support:
Prime Infrastructure 3.4 Device Pack 11 ( 11.0 )

Ok good, to bad it didn't help. Can you also share a screenshot of the configuration you are sending?

@patoberli , please see the screenshots attached. 

I have never used a configuration template to reboot and access point that has no other settings. What does the “?” tell you next to the reboot? Why not just create a cli template or create a command script and just push that to the controller unless you have a lot of controllers.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@Scott Fella 

The idea is to have the possibility to reboot APs from a specific floor, like floor 9 for example.

How would I do that using a cli template?

Do you have an example to show? 

Well I thought you wanted to only reset the 1800, if you want to always change what you want to reboot, you can automate that other ways. I have PI 3.5 with all the latest updates and patches and I can reboot AP’s with that same template you are using. If that is how you want to reboot access points, open a TAC case.
I also use a credential profile with RW snmp and credential for ssh. I don’t know how you have it set up.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Screenshots look good.
Try what Scott is suggesting. I suspect you are hitting some weird bug here. Can you configure the WLC from the Prime? I think working SSH access to the WLC where the AP is running on is required to reload an AP.

@patoberli 

To reload one AP from the WLC ssh session is fine, what I will do if I need to reset an entire floor of APs?

No, I mean, can the prime reach the WLC via SSH? If I'm not mistaken, the reboot command is sent to the WLC and not the AP. But if that would not be the case (so Prime would like to talk directly to the AP), then you would need to enable SSH access to the AP from the Prime, which is disabled by default.

It looks like you're not the first with this problem though: https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-security-and-network/reboot-multiple-or-all-access-points-via-wlc-web-gui-or-cisco/td-p/2460654

In that thread you also see an alternative method.

@patoberli 

I'm planning to upgrade the WLC version from 8.5.140 to 8.5.161. I think that the API connection between the WLC and PI is somehow broken and will see if I upgrade the WLC will solve my problem. 

Keep you posted. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card