cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RPS 675

akbar1
Level 1
Level 1

I have bought 2 cisco 3560 switches & one cisco RPS 675. I have connect the switches to RPS 675 & while testing i found that when i remove the power supply cable of one of the switch RPS kicks in & supplies power to that switch but when i re plug the power cable to the switch RPS continues to suplly power to the switch. If i manually change the status of RPS o standy by the switch reboots & take the power supply from main connection.

Is there any way RPS goes in to standby mode after the switch starts receving power supply from main line.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is the way that the RPS units work - I guess they're assuming that when you go to swap out the switch/PSU you will then reset the RPS unit....

I don't think that the switch normally reboots when you restore power then put the RPS into standby however... do all your switches do this?

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is the way that the RPS units work - I guess they're assuming that when you go to swap out the switch/PSU you will then reset the RPS unit....

I don't think that the switch normally reboots when you restore power then put the RPS into standby however... do all your switches do this?

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

I'm going to bumnp this because I am running into the same problem here as well. As soon as the switch receives main power again, it should no longer need the RPS but for some reason the switch doesn't know the main power cord is plugged back in. I notice this seems to only affect switches running newer IOS releases. I tested this on switches running 12.2(25)SEE1 and its no good. However switches running 12.2(25)SED1 behave as normal (that is, remove power cord and RPS kicks in but plug cord back RPS backs out).

The manual for the 675 states the following

"The switch might restart when it changes from RPS power to its own internal power. This situation might occur after the power supply on a switch fails, the RPS takes over, and the switch reverts to its own power. We advise you to assume this possibility and plan accordingly when you restart a switch using its internal power after using the RPS as backup power."

I guess they have stopped the internal power supply taking over again to stop the possibility of the switch reloading during operational hours. This means you have to schedule a reload to revert back in internal power.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card