Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WCS

Network Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are gong to deploy a wireless access points on a few sites. We need to find the coverage so that we can place the access points on the right place. We need to do this for a number of sites and a professional survey for each would be expensive. So wondering if there was any software to find the coverage like heat map producer (trial versaion would do but if it is paid then which one would be cheap)

I got a quote for Airmagnet but seems expensive around 4k. Is Cisco WCS expensive. i found that it has 2 versions BAse and PLUS. whats the difference. does the base versioan have the heat map producer ? also does any one know any retailer i can get the cisco WCS ?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can use AirMagnet Planner do do that. It is an addon module(license) that enables you to plan and design a wlan environment and then use Either an advisor to place ap's automatically, or do it manually. You can modify antennas and power and make that default for following ap's. There are some good reports in the same context.

If you are only to do simulated site surveys WCS will do very fine, but if you also need to do live surveys I'd recommend AM.

Regards Mats

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mats Nilson
Level 1
Level 1

You don't need to have a plus version to use map planning mode.

A plus version you will need if you are using Mobility Engine; Locatio Appliance, or ISE.

The price of WCS is dependent on the AP licenses.

Air Magnet (planner) is a vey versatile tool, especially if you are using the standard survey mode as well as many nifty tools. (you can use iperf enhanced active survey for real performance verification e.t.c.)

Regards

Mats

thanks for the reply...do yoy know any trial or demo version where i can use this for producing heat maps just like the WCS. as we  have few sites but dont know where the install the access points. we need to install ports that connefcts to the patch panel but airmagenet and other software require access points to be connected to do the survey. but in WCS we can just put the maps and put the access points and porduces the range. not sure if the others will do the same..please advice ?

Thanks

You can use AirMagnet Planner do do that. It is an addon module(license) that enables you to plan and design a wlan environment and then use Either an advisor to place ap's automatically, or do it manually. You can modify antennas and power and make that default for following ap's. There are some good reports in the same context.

If you are only to do simulated site surveys WCS will do very fine, but if you also need to do live surveys I'd recommend AM.

Regards Mats

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card