cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC 2504 with dual internet connections

kevinpendergast
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, I would like to have internal wifi users use a different internet pipe to access the internet. The internet connection is at a different location than the WLC. Suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks.

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No... you would need to create some policy based routing to push that traffic to site B's internet.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You would be looking at doing guest anchoring then.  This would be where you would put a WLC where the internet access is, and configure the guest WLAN to force it's traffic to this WLC for ingress/egress.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/guest_access/technical/reference/4.1/GAccess_41.html

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve, thanks for the reply. Let me explain my current situation. Location A has the WLC, internet connection for wired and wireless users. This location also has internet access thru a DSL line that public wifi users use.

I have location B with an internet connection that is not really being used that much. I would like to funnel corporate wifi users to access the internet at Location B. So basically, forcing these users to go out Location B internet.

Kevin

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to use FlexConnect and place the guest users at site B locally at site B and then you just create an ACL for that vlan. Since site A has the WLC the AP's will be in local mode. Site B will have AP's in FlexConnect mode in which you can locally switch the traffic or centrally switch traffic.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24082

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

I have about 9 locations that are connected via opteman. My goal was to have all locations (corp wifi users) go thru the internet at location B. Would just an access list on the WLC be able to do this?

No... you would need to create some policy based routing to push that traffic to site B's internet.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

I concur with Scott.  If you want to force the traffic you owuld need to use PBR for the corporate users to push the traffic to site B.

Sorry, looks like I misread the initial, I thought you were wanting to manipulate the guest traffic to site B, not the corp.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

I should have included more details at the beginning.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Yeah it was a bit confusing, since we see many post that ask the similar question, but using FlexConnect is usually what the answer is.  I guess the other thing you can do is use VRF to tunnel the traffic back from all locations to site B, since its guest traffic, that way you don't have to configure ACLs at each site.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card