Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco wlc 9800 virtual with one interface virtual

ivan.martin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone:

I need to configure a wlc 9800-cl virtual (over vmware) with just one interface virtual (management and ap conectivity) in trunk mode with ip address. 

Perhaps someone does has any documentation about this?. Most of documentacion talk about two separeted interface.

Thanks you so much

Regards, Ivan.

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You can use one. I disabled Gig1 and using Gig2. Gig2 is defined with a native vlan for management and then that vlan interface has an assigned ip

interface GigabitEthernet2
switchport trunk native vlan 25
switchport mode trunk
negotiation auto
no mop enabled
no mop sysid
end

interface Vlan25
ip address 10.10.25.20 255.255.255.0
no mop enabled
no mop sysid
end
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott

Thanks you so much for your answer. What will happen with the portgroup(promiscue mode) in the gi2? Shoud it keep according to the context? Or might it change?

The documentation says about this feature in vmware settings.

Best regards Ivan.

I have it enabled on my 9800’s since it is stated in the guide. It was the same for the vWLC’s also.
-Scott

Take a look at this blog also as it should help you see how to configure the 9800-CL with one interface.  Again, it might be trail and error, depending on what you do later on.  I have built a few in my lab and tired various ways until I found a workflow that works for me.  Just document what you do or spin up a few to get it down.  You would need this in case you have to rebuild depending if you also decide to go with SSO or N+1.

https://www.wifireference.com/2019/08/24/cisco-catalyst-9800-cl-deployment-guide/

-Scott

Hi Scott 

Thanks you for your answer. If each user needs his own vswitch (for the vlan id) Does this interface (user) need some features?

Best regards, Ivan. 

I don’t understand. Each user? You setup the vswitch to define the management vlan and any vlans you require. Then how you map the wlan to vlan per ssid or override it via aaa override using radius, will determine what vlan a device will be place one.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card