Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC - WiFi6 Support

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

At present I have the below WLC Model : AIR-CT5520-K9

Does this model supports WiFi6 .If so what models of AP will support WiFi 6 with this WLC ?

22 Replies 22

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- For the intended AP's being used you at need a software supported release on the controller, see link below : then check whether the software version is supported on your controller :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/wave2-ap/feature-matrix/b-wave2-ap-feature-matrix.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Tobias Heisele
Level 1
Level 1

AIR-CT5520-K9 supports 802.11ax/WiFi6 APs (Catalyst 91xx) in version 8.9 / 8.10. For more details, check the wifi compatibility matrix https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

Thank you all for your response.

What I understand from the reference materials are

1) AIR-CT5520-K9 do support Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) with software version  8.10

- Let me know if my above understanding is right

2) The access point which needs to be used to Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) is Cisco Catalyst 9100 series access point which also needs to be running software version 8.10

3) Currently my WLC AIR-CT5520-K9 is running software version 8.8.120

The existing access points are of model AIR-AP1852I-Q-K9 & these are also running software version 8.8.120

So if I want to go with the Cisco Catalyst 9100 series access point to support Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), I need to upgrade by WLC version to 8.10.x

- In this case should i also upgrade my existing APs software version to 8.10.x . Please let me know

802.11ax is dependent on the access point itself. As of right now, the 91x0 are Cisco’s ax access points, none of the other models support ax. Look at the data sheet for the ap to understand what the ap supports.

The 5520 requires 8.10 to support the new 91x0 access points. the 18xx’s you have don’t support ax, only ac.

Hope this helps.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks.

So when I upgrade my WLC 5520 software version to 8.10.x, can I keep the existing software version of AIR-AP1852I-Q-K9 to 8.8.120 or should I upgrade the version to 8.10.x also.

Once you upgrade your 55520 to 8.10.x software, all AP will automatically get upgraded to that code. 

HTH

Rasika

Thanx.

So my existing APs which are currently configured for 802.11a/n/ac will remain as it & it will work with out any issues or changes required.

The new APs which will be 91xx series will be using the 802.11ax standard . My WLC 5520 will be able to support these diversified APs

Hope my above understanding is right.

In addition to this, is WiFi6 as a technology is it matured to go for production deployment.  I am planning to target using WiFi6 for my multi floor office. So would like to check is this technology matured enough .

To add to this, keep in mind that the code that you have on the controller, is the same code that will be pushed out to the access points. They need to be the same or the access points will not join the controller. This matrix guide is very handy to ensure that the code you want to upgrade to will support any of your other access points. It will also define the compatibility for other Cisco devices that you might or might not have.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

Look at it this way.
Protocol supported on AP’s (802.11ac/802.11ax) is defined by the ap hardware during manufacturing

Controllers support specific AP’s depending on code and code has to match between controller and ap.
-Scott

I have couple of queries for which i need to have clarifications

- In my Office#1, AP AIR-AP1852I-Q-K9  with 802.11ac is configured. The SSID name is WIFIWIFI000

- In my new office#2 , I am planning to setup new AP 91xx services with 802.11ax enabled. The SSID will be the same which is WIFIWIFI000

Question :

- When user from Office#1 moves to Office#2 will the laptop connect automatically to Office#2 SSID which is the same SSID.

- Can same SSID exit both on 802.11ac & 802.11ax ?

- The WLC will be the same for both.

Will the above scenario will work ?

Is there any dependency on the end point device to work wiht 802.11ax.

- When user from Office#1 moves to Office#2 will the laptop connect automatically to Office#2 SSID which is the same SSID.

Yes, that is the normal behavior, all AP get same config from the WLC, so not difference. You override it put APs into different AP group, which you do not require in this case.

- Can same SSID exit both on 802.11ac & 802.11ax ?

Yes,same SSID will be advertised on each radio of APs (does not matter which technology it supports)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks. Sorry didn't understand it fully.

You mean the existing AP group will remain the same with 802.11ac & the new APs will be in different group which will support 802.11ax.

Is my above understanding is right ? The reason for asking this is because u mentioned the same configurations will be pushed to all the APs

Also regarding the below query any inputs ?

Is there any dependency on the end point device to work wiht 802.11ax.

Yes that will work for everything you have listed.
-Scott

Thanks

So when the user is in Office#1, his mobile or laptop will connect to 802.11ac

When the same user moves to Office#2, his mobileor laptop will get connect ot 802.11ax automatically which is of same SSID.

In case if the mobile or laptop is not compatible with 802.11ax it will fall back to 802.11ac in office#2.

Please confirm if the above points are right.

It depends on Laptop capability. If it is 802.11ax capable laptop then it will connect on 802.11ax & still connect to 8092.11ac when it moves to another office.

HTH

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card