cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ClickOS access point (i.e 2802i) - clearing configuation and fully reloading software

Boycee
Level 1
Level 1

On IOS based access points (i.e 2702i) it was possible to format the flash completely and reload the software from downloaded image/archive:

debug capwap console cli

format flash:

archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://<IP address>/<file name>

This provided confidence that no configuration remained and that the software files on flash were those (and only those) contained in the software download.

However, we cannot seem to find anything comparable for the ClickOS Access Points?

The closest we have found to erase existing is:

capwap ap erase all

However, this is very limited, i.e does not remove/clean up any additional files on the flash

There is also:

archive download-sw /reload tftp://<tftp server ip-address>/<TAR filename>

1) Does this overwrite the entire software partition?  Or just unpack the additional files into existing filesystem? i.e can we be confident of a clean software image.

2) I understand there are two software partitions, part1 and part2, however, all logging/configuration files looks to be shared between software partitions?  Therefore we assume this data stored in another of the partitions?  Can this be cleared/wiped?

Lastly, the following command:

ap-type mobility-express tftp://<TFTP Server IP>/<path to tar file>

Documentation seems to suggest this would simply add Mobility Express into existing Lightweight AP software load?  Is this added to part1 / part2 or somewhere else?

Would appreciate if someone can provide some clarity on all this (and surely there should be a Cisco document?).  Ideally, we are looking for is a way to clear down the device and reload the software back to a consistent state but it looks like this is not possible?

1 Reply 1

Using the Mode Button

Using the Mode button (see Ports and Connections on the Head of the AP) you can:

-Reset the AP to the default factory-shipped configuration

-Clear the AP internal storage including all configuration files

To use the mode button, press, and keep pressed, the mode button on the access point during the AP boot cycle. Wait until the AP status LED changes to Amber. During this, the AP console shows a seconds counter, counting the number of seconds the mode button is pressed. Then:

-To reset the AP to it’s default factory-shipped configuration, keep the mode button pressed for less than 20 seconds. The AP configuration files are cleared.

This resets all configuration settings to factory defaults, including passwords, WEP keys, the IP address, and the SSID.

-To clear the AP internal storage, including all configuration files, keep the mode button pressed for more than 20 seconds, but less than 60 seconds.

NoteIf the mode button is pressed for more than 30 seconds but less than 60 seconds, the FIPS mode flag is also cleared during the full factory reset of the AP. The FIPS flag when set disables console access.

The AP status LED changes from Amber to Red, and all the files in the AP storage directory are cleared.

If you keep the mode button pressed for more than 60 seconds, the mode button is assumed faulty and no changes are made.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/3800/quick/guide/ap3800iepgetstart.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card