cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

client not recieiving ip address

jonl711
Level 1
Level 1

I have a C857 wireless router and for some reason it has stopped sending my laptop an ip address nor can I see the wireless network when i browse for the network. If I connect to the router with a cable, I get an ip address from the DHCP setup. Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot the router for not broadcasting the network or why I cannot see the Wireless network?

Thanks

12 Replies 12

dwightgoble
Level 1
Level 1

I have the exact same problem. The wireless adapter associates with the Access Point but will not pass IP traffic. I even gave it a static address and it will not ping the gateway. If I hardwire the other NIC I get an IP and can connect. Any Help?

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

Can you try to debug the DHCP in 857 to check is there any wireless device to request the DHCP address ?

Moreover, is there any authentication setup in the wireless router ? If yes, there may be some issue stop the process before process to get an IP address.

Check below for basic config of DHCP in 85x router.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008045d272.html#wp42306

Check more on the wireless interface config.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008045d289.html#wp79536

Please post the config.

Hope this helps.

I am troubleshooting an identical problem. I took the card to another wireless network and it worked. So I brought it back and then tried a static IP address to bypass the DHCP issue and found I could not ping the access point even though it associated with it. Could the problem be in the Access Point security settings?

Hi,

I suspect your issue is slightly different than the one in this post. The security settings could certainly be the problem. For example, if you are using WEP and the encryption keys are incorrect, you will still associate, but not pass traffic (including DHCP Discovery).

If you post your config, we can take a look.

Thanks,

Ben

jonl711
Level 1
Level 1

I have done the following:

1) used the laptop with the card on another Wireless Lan and was able to connect (this rules out the laptop and wireless nic).

2) check the configuration with the original configuration and all seems ok.

I can see other Wireless networks, just cannot see the one I need to access.

Checked the config and not find any problem. Did you try any WLAN scanner (e.g. Netsumbler) to scan the WLAN signal from this router ?

If you cannot scan the SSID from this router, I suspect there may be hardware problem in this router.

Do you have any spare 857 to test the config. ?

Hope this helps.

Hi,

You don't have the SSID configured to be broadcast, so you won't see it in the available networks. Do the following and see if it takes care of the problem:

conf t

ssid scawlan

guest-mode

end

wr mem

The 'guest-mode' configures the radio to broadcast the SSID, so it appears as an "available network" on your wireless client.

Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben, AFAIK, if the SSID is defined in the client, we still can access the WLAN even it is not broadcast by the router. Is it correct ?

That's correct. But in this user's post it sounds like he wants it broadcast (i.e. for his client to detect the SSID in the beacon). There are sometimes issues with Windows being able to associate to these routers if the SSID isn't broadcast, so even if he has the client properly configured, it may not work -- depends upon Client and IOS software versions.

Thanks,

Ben

Still no joy. I have an identical router (eg 2 x 857w and I can't see the broadcast from neither router using 2 laptops. Install Netstubler and cannot see the broadcast. Anyone nknow of any debugs commands that might assist?

Since the WPA key is encrypt can I reset a new one? by issuing the wpa-psk ascii command with a new key on both router and laptop?

Thanks

Did you try to use guest command that suggested by Ben to let the router to broadcast the SSID ?

I did not try the WPA-PSK ASCII command, but I believe it should work and you just need to configure the same key in your laptop is fine. I am using this way at my home use (non-Cisco) AP and Wi-Fi notebook.

And, what WLAN NIC are you using in the notebook ? Does it work in other WLAN environment ?

Hope this helps.

Hi Ben, thanks for your clarification. ;)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card