Views
Helpful
Replies

Client rates less than mandatory

Chewbakka1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have my basic rate for 802.11a set to 12Mbit/s, and yet all the clients that associate to this wlan are showing 6Mbit as the only rate. CCX is not supported. I must be missing something here.. What could be causing this?

Rates.png

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Chewbakka1 wrote:

I have my basic rate for 802.11a set to 12Mbit/s, and yet all the clients that associate to this wlan are showing 6Mbit as the only rate. 

The MCS rates in this screenshot is taken from the client, from the perspective of the AP.  

Correct.

But as the client is able to associate, i would expect to see at least one rate, mutually supported by the client and access-point

What exactly is this wireless client?

A Macbook

What firmware is the controller running on?

The controller is running 8.5.151

Is this happening to all wireless clients or just Macbook?

All of them. And for some reason they all "negotiate" 802.11n instead of 802.11ac

The data rates are only specific to ofdm. Why do you only have one is my question, that isn’t best practice. Set some more as supported and at least one that is mandatory.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

12 is set as 'mandatory', the rest, except for 6 and 9 are set as 'supported'

The rate you are showing is for ofdm. That means 802.11n/ac/ax will still allow the lower rates in their perspective range because it’s still higher than ofdm. So basically that is normal. Use an 802.11a only client and see.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card