Replies

Client Roaming between AP - WLC 5508

AlexKlmv
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody!

Wlc 5508 controller

There is such a problem:
A client stuck to a point with a good signal, after turning off this AP, moves to another AP with a worse signal.

But after turning on the first point, the client for some reason does not return back, he sticks to the point with the worst signal.

Advise what could be the problem

What settings should I see?

Optimized roaming is enable

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not believe that the Client can go back as you expecting until the client moves out of reach to the AP that was connected, the client always connects to the AP it was connected, the client decides what AP to connect.

even i saw practically, the one top of my head my device can not connect, it connects far from other AP.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not believe that the Client can go back as you expecting until the client moves out of reach to the AP that was connected, the client always connects to the AP it was connected, the client decides what AP to connect.

even i saw practically, the one top of my head my device can not connect, it connects far from other AP.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

...just thought where the signal is better, then the client connects there

Nevertherless thank you.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Some WiFi drivers (like Intel) have a "Roaming Aggresiveness" setting.  If you set that to Highest the client will move APs more readily but it's still down to the client to decide when the roaming threshold has been reached.  All that setting does is change the threshold to make it more or less sensitive = roam quickly or cling to the AP as long as possible.  Use with caution and test thoroughly because most users will just leave it at the default Medium.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005546/wireless/legacy-intel-wireless-products.html

Availability of that setting depends on WiFi adapter model and driver version.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card